The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I think my big sister had this Cyndi Lauper album and she played it a lot when I was a kid, so even the filler tracks on side B have a ring of familiarity to them. Girls and Time are obvious pop classics that never seem to go out of style, and still sound great despite being hugely overplayed throughout the years. She Bop and All through the night are also enjoyable pop with a slight new wave edge. Money Changes Everything and When You Were Mine are accomplished covers of great songs that fit great on side A. The last four tracks are all duds without inspiration or ambition to be anything but fillers. In other words, a pretty typical commercial album by an isolated 1980s pop/rock phenomenon in both structure, style and substance. Harmless fun!

Score 3/5.

Last edited:
2/27/23

ab67616d0000b27352f532df7ba3269b0242fed9

Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual

Allmusic Review:

My first repeat album from the other thread. It's a fun listen, but didn't expect to hear it again so soon.

Leonard Cohen ~ You Want it Darker

So much music comes from the energy of youth. I learn as I grow older that I'm attracted to those artists who I can identify with at different stages in my life, ones that write from the whole of the human experience. While I'm not quite ready to be in the position Leonard Cohen was in when he wrote this album, I can certainly appreciate it. 5/5

2/27/23

ab67616d0000b27352f532df7ba3269b0242fed9

Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual

Allmusic Review:

This is an all-timer for me. It gets steady regular play in my world on digital, CD and vinyl. I think the A-side would be a heavy contender amongst the best A-sides of all time, and I think the B-side is better than so many say it is. ;) And I actually quite love the Prince cover.

A-side: 6/5
B-side: 4/5
Total: 5/5

This is an all-timer for me. It gets steady regular play in my world on digital, CD and vinyl. I think the A-side would be a heavy contender amongst the best A-sides of all time, and I think the B-side is better than so many say it is. ;) And I actually quite love the Prince cover.

A-side: 6/5
B-side: 4/5
Total: 5/5
It would seem that I am a minority on the Prince cover.

Back