The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

“it's too loud, it's too noisy, and I am exhausted listening to it.”
What's Spinning 2023 (Discogs listen through, first catalogued to last) #28

Chalkline - In The Present Tense

View attachment 167532

Is that Merzbow sticker just for show then?

Rid of Me is one of my favorite albums of all time. The quiet is annoying as shit, but it's always worth it to me. Me Jane, Man Size, Rub til it Bleeds... I just fucking adore this album and the grit and energy of the whole thing

5/5

2/24/23
ab67616d0000b2738fc3f01275cae3d8ecb1c26b

Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker

Allmusic Review:

2/24/23
ab67616d0000b2738fc3f01275cae3d8ecb1c26b

Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker

Allmusic Review:

I wonder if there is other Cohen on the list too because this wouldn't be "the one" Cohen album I would recommend to people.

That said, it's an incredible album, especially as a coda.

I'm very excited to dig into this one again.

None of those albums will ever be spun a great deal. They're too damn heavy. Willie and Prine at least add some levity. I imagine if I am ever diagnosed with a terminal illness they will just never leave my table.

When my mom died last year, I actually spun the hell out of In These Silent Days. Right on Time was my mantra during the several months after. And the album really feels like a celebration of life - both good and bad. It just fit. I imagine when my dad passes that Soul Cages will be the thing that doesn't leave my side as I think it might be one of the better modern requiems.

i haven't listened to every leonard cohen album but i do know that you want it darker would be the one i would pick if someone asked me to recommend one. it's a perfect record, not one wasted moment, and will always be eminently relatable until the day we die.

getting this and blackstar in the same year was serendipitously bittersweet.

I remember Blackstar came out not too long after joining you nerds on the VMP forum, and this not too long after that. It made these albums that much more powerful sharing our thoughts on hearing these albums, and grieving/celebrating these great artists together. I bet no one I know IRL have ever cared to listen to them, or even given any thought to.

I remember Blackstar came out not too long after joining you nerds on the VMP forum, and this not too long after that. It made these albums that much more powerful sharing our thoughts on hearing these albums, and grieving/celebrating these great artists together. I bet no one I know IRL have ever cared to listen to them, or even given any thought to.
I found yall soon after Bowie and had just started listening to Cohen. I wanna say @HiFi Guy gave me my copy of Darker... that may be wrong though.

My wife is one of the bigger Bowie fans I've ever met, in fact I have carte blanc on record buying of his stuff (Chris Thile too), but she won't listen to Blackstar. Almost every listen I have ever done of it has been on headphones or in the car. I've spun the vinyl like three times.

Back