The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

2/29/24
ab67616d0000b273d6853c479a99458751235e39

Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

(not on Spotify or Qobuz, I’m assuming it still isn’t up on Apple)

2/29/24
ab67616d0000b273d6853c479a99458751235e39

Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

(not on Spotify or Qobuz, I’m assuming it still isn’t up on Apple)

I have tried so many times with this album. I should love it but I don’t. I still feel like one day it will click for me. Today is not that day unfortunately.

I have tried so many times with this album. I should love it but I don’t. I still feel like one day it will click for me. Today is not that day unfortunately.
It’ll be getting its annual listen tomorrow. If it clicks I’ll let y’all know, but same boat.

I kind of feel like there aren’t enough drugs in the world for me to understand exactly what the fuck is going on with this thing.

I expected @avecigrec to extol the virtues of this album for us.

I always have a project record or two in the collection. For years The Shape of Jazz to Come was the nut I wanted to crack. I have that lovely Art Ensemble record. This thing though. Kind of like @TenderLovingKiller® said, on paper, I should like it but I just don’t understand what the fuck is going on.

I’ll also say this, TMR can make some absolute shit records. Then there is this thing that reportedly came from a safety and has WITHOUT A FUCKING DOUBT the best soundstage of any record I own. On speakers (this is a headphone listen) it feels like the sound just extends into infinity. I bet this is a trip on the right drugs (or a real bad night.)

I definitely think it belongs on the list even if I do find it mystifying and quite frankly ugly.

IMG_6544.jpeg

Last edited:
I expected @avecigrec to extol the virtues of this album for us.

Honestly, it's been at least 15 years since I've listened to it. Probably closer to 20. I don't reckon I much understood it back when, but I didn't dislike it either. Revisiting it is increasingly high on my to-do list, I just haven't picked up a copy yet.

Honestly, it's been at least 15 years since I've listened to it. Probably closer to 20. I don't reckon I much understood it back when, but I didn't dislike it either. Revisiting it is increasingly high on my to-do list, I just haven't picked up a copy yet.
Lester Bangs actually wrote a coherent review of it in Rolling Stone which kind of tells you an awful lot about it when you think about it. Lol

Back