The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

You likely won’t relate given your stance on Father John Misty but it reminds me a bit of his most recent album. Also, the solo operatic Freddy Mercury albums. It’s just not my cup of tea.
I already thought of posting that this is like if FJM gave up his fucking stupid schtick. I don’t think Wainwright has as nice of a voice though.

I’ve never listened to the solo Mercury albums.

I already thought of posting that this is like if FJM gave up his fucking stupid schtick. I don’t think Wainwright has as nice of a voice though.

I’ve never listened to the solo Mercury albums.
I think he has a couple but one in particular is like him singing with a literal opera singer. My SO is a huge Queen fan and love classical music (as she’s a classically trained musician) and she enjoys it a great deal but it’s too much for me.

I loved both of Rufus first two albums but this was the album that lost me. It was too over the top and ornate. I enjoyed the poppy stuff on the first two releases.
I have a similar experience. I listened to Poses quite a lot when it came out, but had a hard time getting into this. I bought the cd when it came out, but rarely played it.

Is it just me or wasn't there a whole wave of quirky (and great) singer/songwriter stuff that came out around the turn of the millennia? Well, the obvious stuff like Elliott Smith, Jason Molina and Ryan Adams, but I'm also thinking of names like Ed Harcourt, Ron Sexsmith, Will Oldham/Bonnie Prince Billy, Josh Rouse, Pete Yorn, Tom McRae, Badly Drawn Boy to name a few (I guess Bill Callahan is part of this too). Well, in my head I've always catagorized Rufus Wainwright in that era and genre, and not the more flamboyant chamber pop he is more know for today.

Listening today, this was fine however. Maybe I've matured into this more bombastic kind of music? Or is it a mood thing? I dunno, but I will check out more of the later material from Rufus for sure.

And didn't his sister Marta do some great stuff as well? This will probably spark a huge trip down memory lane for me.

Last edited:
2/14/24
View attachment 195253
The Good, the Bad, & the Queen - The Good, the Bad, & the Queen

Curious where @gaporter and @Joe Mac rank this amongst Damon Albarn projects.

Personally I prefer most Blur albums to this and the first two Gorillaz albums but after that I think this would next in the listz

Curious where @gaporter and @Joe Mac rank this amongst Damon Albarn projects.

Personally I prefer most Blur albums to this and the first two Gorillaz albums but after that I think this would next in the listz

I like this a lot. I remember it coming out and it really striking a chord. I find ranking between the creative outlets of Albarn quite difficult because they are so different but this ranks very highly for me in terms of impact and enjoyment.

2/14/24
View attachment 195253

Maybe I lived under a rock in the mid 00's but I haven't heard of this before. I do find it a bit weird how these side projects seem to find their way to this list. Like The Last Shadow Puppets earlier in this project, I find this enjoyable but it also pales compared to what the artists have done on their main bands/projects and I don't see how this is essential listening or something I need to hear before I die. This sounds like a less catchy and less interesting version of Demon Days to me (which is an album that really deserves its place on this list though).

2/14/24
View attachment 195253

I probably haven't listened to this since it came out. I know a lot of people regard it as one of Albarn's best albums but I remember being kind of underwhelmed by it at the time and not really understanding the hype. I'll be very interested to see if my opinion has changed in the past 17 years.

Back