The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

2/1/24
168c0ca328678e9ad092d4c0aa09427e68e06ebe

Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack

1/31/24
View attachment 194109
Fatboy Slim - Better Living Through Chemistry

I don’t think I’ve listened to this before, except for ”Going Out of My Head”. It is a bit more laid back than ”You’ve Come A Long Way Baby” (which I’ve listened to a lot through the years). I enjoyed it, but probably won’t seek it out again.

2/2/24
View attachment 194307
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle

It's rife with problematic content, but it's also loaded front to back with straight bangers! This is the absolute pinnacle of West Coast g-funk/gangsta rap, and the best thing Dr. Dre, Snoop and Death Row Records ever put out. The Chronic was great but Doggystyle was, and still is, absolutely unfuckwitable.

2/2/24
View attachment 194307

I know this album is misogynistic as fuck but I love it warts and all. Snoop and Co. bring it for the entire album and Dre had perfected his beats. In my opinion it’s the best G-Funk album of all-time and on of the best 90s hip hop albums of all time.

Last edited:
It's rife with problematic content, but it's also loaded front to back with straight bangers! This is the absolute pinnacle of West Coast g-funk/gangsta rap, and the best thing Dr. Dre, Snoop and Death Row Records ever put out. The Chronic was great but Doggystyle was, and still is, absolutely unfuckwitable.
I swear I didn’t read this before typing up my reply.

When my friends and I started doing our secret santa style record club every month, this was the first record my buddy got me and his reasoning was spot on -- he told me he got it because he could see it being something I wouldn't seek out for myself in this day and age, but I'd be stoked to have it because it IS a classic, and he was absolutely correct. Whenever I put it on it's cranked and I rock hard with it.

I can only repeat what y'all already said. If you can sit still to "Who Am I" or "Tha Shiznit", then you're probably a robot. And yes the content is problematic, but I still can't help to crack a smile at the inventive and dirty dog metaphors in "G Funk Intro" ("Get your pooper scooper cause the n***'s talkin shit Aroof!")

2/2/24
One of the best gangsta rap albums (and better than The Chronic too, while we're at it). 5/5.

favs: Murder Was the Case, Gin and Juice, Tha Shiznit, G-Funk Intro, Ain't No Fun (If the Homies Can't Have None), Serial Killa, Who Am I (What's My Name)?
least fav: For All My [Homiez] & Bitches

He has never even come close to this echelon since.

There were certainly refreshing glimpses of this greatness on No Limit Top Dogg, but the album as a whole, while being much better than the two albums that preceded it, was too inconsistent to reach the glory.

I think Tha Doggfather was a far better album than most of the world ever gives it credit for (the majority were just too thirsty for a Doggystyle 2) – except it was a bit too bloated and overlong. Even trimmed down it wouldn't hit the glory of his debut but I think, despite a wholly different sense of sound and style, it'd be the closest he came (I'd say what was released is a 3.75, but there's absolutely a 4.5 in there with a few more cuts to the tracklist.)

I don’t know that I agree this is better than The Chronic. That’s an all time rap album for me. You all know I’m conflicted about this one. The misogyny is blech. Snoop’s flow is impeccable and Dre’s beats are great as always. I found this hard to listen to even then and I didn’t keep the cd very long. It was fun to get high to though.

I don’t know that I agree this is better than The Chronic. That’s an all time rap album for me. You all know I’m conflicted about this one. The misogyny is blech. Snoop’s flow is impeccable and Dre’s beats are great as always. I found this hard to listen to even then and I didn’t keep the cd very long. It was fun to get high to though.
Smoking’ Indo, Sippin’ on gin and juice.

My mom purchased this CD for me when I was 12 years old. She didn’t even bat and eye.

Back