The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

View attachment 193667
Related a bit to an “old guy yelling at clouds” thought I’ve been exploring recently…

This is the 2022 reissue. I would not call it audiophile. Not sure who cut it. It was pressed at GZ. This sounds way better on vinyl than it it does in hi-res digital. I’m sure Grey or Smith or Bellman could pull some detail and separation out… I wonder how much of its character would be lost though. Quite content with this one and will listen this way over the 24 bit 96 kHz version any day.
Bro…

This is one of Intervention Records gems. AAA cut by KPG pressed at RTI Stoughton tip-on jacket.

Intervention Records goes an amazing job on Reissues I just wish they would do more titles.

I have Guilted Palace of Sin and Matthew Sweet’s Girlfriend and both are excellent, worth every penny.

Last edited:
Bro…

This is one of Intervention Records gems. AAA cut by KPG pressed at RTI Stoughton tip-on jacket.

Intervention Records goes an amazing job on Reissues I just with they would do more titles.

I have Guilted Palace of Sin and Matthew Sweet’s Girlfriend and both are excellent, worth every penny.
Mine was half that price and I am content. Wouldn’t turn down hearing it though.

Meh… I end up with the copy meant for @Mather and spend the next four months chasing down a non-non fill riddled flat copy that is centered.
The guy who runs IR is good people, he’d take care of ya. He started the label basically only to make audiophile records. He resides right across The Narrows Bridge from me, in Gig Harbor.

1/26/24
ab67616d0000b273303bedcb0e70ac901cf09d43

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

I know the radio songs (and therefore more than I probably think I know), last.fm says I have listened to them for 10 songs... It appears to be a listen to Jail Break and I don't recall listening to it. So yeah, basically blind.

I know the radio songs (and therefore more than I probably think I know), last.fm says I have listened to them for 10 songs... It appears to be a listen to Jail Break and I don't recall listening to it. So yeah, basically blind.
They're a band that I love, but not so much their radio singles. Those are fine but the rest is best.

1/24/24
ab67616d0000b273c6588eca47e1b2c424f6c045

Bill Callahan - Sometimes I wish We Were an Eagle

Loving this.

Had no idea Bill Callahan was anything to do with Smog, nor have I listened to much of their work. I did stumble across Ride My Arrow off Dream River a couple of years back and loved it though, so I really should've got round to digging more.

Picks for me are All Thoughts Are Prey To Some Beast and Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Has a little of the Lambchop vibe around it, and I'm a big fan of theirs, so it's not surprising I like this as well

4/5 I reckon. Will be listening to this again as soon as its finished playing through

Last edited:
Man, I don’t know. I’m giving this a second listen now and it doesn’t do anything for me. It’s not bad, just… I don’t know.🤷‍♀️

Anyhow @Hemotep what albums would you suggest to someone who isn’t super familiar with them. I feel like this isn’t the best representation of the band somehow.

Man, I don’t know. I’m giving this a second listen now and it doesn’t do anything for me. It’s not bad, just… I don’t know.🤷‍♀️

Anyhow @Hemotep what albums would you suggest to someone who isn’t super familiar with them. I feel like this isn’t the best representation of the band somehow.
I didn't even make it through one time. I got to The Boys Are Back in Town and I was good. I felt like I was listening to the same song for 40 minutes straight.

I didn't even make it through one time. I got to The Boys Are Back in Town and I was good. I felt like I was listening to the same song for 40 minutes straight.
There’s an 8 cd version!

This strikes me exactly like Cheap Trick did. On paper, it should be something I like but it doesn’t move me.

I did find the bio on Allmusic fascinating though.

I also feel it doesn’t really even get cooking until Cowboy Song.

Part of the deal is I don’t think it sounds very good. Everything I ve played it on, it sounds like crap. Muffled. Like a club show where the dude at the board has the levels all wrong.

It sounded best so far on my echo earbuds. This is something I don’t think I’ve ever said before.

ITT: while the rest of the forums dig their heels into The Smile, I’m all like what’s wrong with me, why don’t I like Thin Lizzy?

Back