The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

All of the above!

@Lee Newman - since it’s fresh, I’d recommend listening to Rancid’s album “Life Won’t Wait” sometime soon as well. More later. For now, gonna throw on The Specials!
IMG_5323.png
Well this and Specials is much better than what I thought when people said ska (most people in the US ain’t talking about the Wailers or Dekker when they ska either)

View attachment 193531
Well this and Specials is much better than what I thought when people said ska (most people in the US ain’t talking about the Wailers or Dekker when they ska either)

I sincerely appreciate you listening to my recs. I take recommendations very seriously when they are given to me, and sounds like you do too!

I sincerely appreciate you listening to my recs. I take recommendations very seriously when they are given to me, and sounds like you do too!
No one may think that after the ROTM next month.

I try to work through a bunch of "assigned" music every day... keeps me young and discovering. I'm actually gonna work backward through the punk thread. I think that has been the most rewarding of all this stuff outside of the generator project. Both have added quite a few records to my collection.

By the way, Monkey Man is the highlight for me of this Specials album.

Whew! I though you were gonna say “Monkey Man” was the Highlight of Let It Bleed.

Not on this album but my favorite track by the The Specials is “Ghost Town”.

Speaking of the Stones, is it just me or is the riff in Little Bitch a Stones reference? I can't quite put my finger on it... it's gonna drive me nuts though.

1/24/24
ab67616d0000b273c6588eca47e1b2c424f6c045

Bill Callahan - Sometimes I wish We Were an Eagle

After first listen, couple of thoughts…

1. This is a discography I will be exploring in full.

2. This might open up Will Oldham and Nick Cave for me? Not sure… first dark thing outside of like late Leonard Cohen that I find myself drawn to.

I really like this!
I prefer Callahan’s work as Smog a bit more than his the stuff he recorded under his own name but it’s all good. Dude has a set of pipes on him and is an excellent songwriter

For me there is a group of artists that really encapsulate a certain style of late 90s - 00s of indie rock, a kind of lo-fi modern southern gothic vibe. Primarily Smog, Songs: Ohia, Cat Power, Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy, and The Silver Jews, these artist were very important and a bit of a touchstone for me in developing my taste over the next 20 years.

After first listen, couple of thoughts…

1. This is a discography I will be exploring in full.

2. This might open up Will Oldham and Nick Cave for me? Not sure… first dark thing outside of like late Leonard Cohen that I find myself drawn to.
You should check out…

01 - Knock Knock
02 - A River Ain’t Too Much To Love
03 - Dongs Of Sevotion
04 - Red Apple Falls

Also, I know it’s a bit fangirlish of me to note, but Bill was a somewhat of an Indie Rock lady killer, he had dated both Cat Power and Joanna Newsom over the years. So kinda like how it’s fun to imagine PJ Harvey and Nick Cave were singing about their relationship over various albums of their career it’s also fun to wonder if any of his song were slightly autobiographical.

Last edited:
Back