The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

1/22/24
View attachment 193450
The Rolling Stones -Let It Bleed

Beggars through Exile are nearly perfect.

The one issue I have with this album is “Country Honk” which was such an absurd choice. I can only imagine the decision to include this version was likely made after one too many rails of cocaine. The Stones greatest hits, 40 Licks was what first piqued my interest in the group which inspired me to take a deeper dive into their proper studio albums and I found a lot to love. However when I got around to Let It Bleed I was so bummed that they included “Country Honk” instead of “Honky Tonk Women” I Frankensteined myself a burned CD copy of the album that replaced “Country Honk” with “Honky Tonk Woman” so it still get bummed out when I spin my vinyl copy and “Country Honk” starts playing.

1/22/24
View attachment 193450
The Rolling Stones -Let It Bleed

Second favourite Stones album (after Exile on Main St) and this gives me the perfect excuse to spin the VMP version I've got. I'm big fan of this one from Gimme Shelter to You Can't Always Get What You Want, and love the heavier blues influence on this one.

I like it that much I'm going to play it again right now

4.5/5 (I agree Country Honk is a little bit of an odd choice and the only minor blemish on an otherwise stunning album)

Last edited:
My favorite Stones album (at the moment at least). I even like Country Honk. I sits nicely on the album between Love in Vain and Live With Me and the music fits the lyrics on this version. Honky Tonk Women is a cooler version of the song though, obviously.

I don’t mind Country Honk at all. I’m not super familiar with this album. It’s real good though. Sticky Fingers and Exile are my favs.
I get not minding it and I guess at the time maybe they were like, “why include a song we already released?” They probably weren’t considering posterity or legacy at the time but “Honky Tonk Woman” is an absolute banger and had they included it, it would have elevated its greatness that much further.

I had never heard of these guys before earlier tonight when I was reading the All Music review of “…And Out Come the Wolves” by Rancid when I decided to check it out based on @scotthilk ’s recommendation in the Punk Thread. I think the comparison to The Clash nades in the same sentence of that review is a lot closer to Rancid.

This is closer to Reggae than punk. Elvis Costello produced it! I want to know the story of how they hooked up.

I had never heard of these guys before earlier tonight when I was reading the All Music review of “…And Out Come the Wolves” by Rancid when I decided to check it out based on @scotthilk ’s recommendation in the Punk Thread. I think the comparison to The Clash nades in the same sentence of that review is a lot closer to Rancid.

This is closer to Reggae than punk. Elvis Costello produced it! I want to know the story of how they hooked up.

It’s ska! Two tone ska from 80s Britain has some notable highs. This is probably the very best album from the very best band from that scene. There is a really really nice 45rpm half speed master of this that came out a few years back!

So this scene largely grew in the West Midlands of England. These were from Coventry there was a lot of this type of music centered around Birmingham too. Coventry was essentially an old cathedral city that was completely flattened by the Luftwaffe and rebuilt as a horrible depressing austere post war concrete jungle. The West Midlands had high levels of Caribbean immigration in the 50s and 60s and this scene grew out of a fusion of the second generation on mixing with the locals In these urban settings.

Anyway Joe approves!

It’s ska! Two tone ska from 80s Britain has some notable highs. This is probably the very best album from the very best band from that scene. There is a really really nice 45rpm half speed master of this that came out a few years back!

Anyway Joe approves!

All of the above!

@Lee Newman - since it’s fresh, I’d recommend listening to Rancid’s album “Life Won’t Wait” sometime soon as well. More later. For now, gonna throw on The Specials!

I've always enjoyed The Specials whenever a song by them has turned up on a playlist or on the radio, but I don't think I've listened to a whole album before. This was great! I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with ska, but this is definitely on the "love"-side.

I generally like ska. American ska punk 🤮

This is probably the very best album from the very best band from that scene
And yet their best song, Ghosttown, is still to come.

Fun fact for you @Lee Newman , Terry Hall who is one of the singers in the band went on to co-write with Jane Wiedlin a little song called “Our Lips Are Sealed”

And yet their best song, Ghosttown, is still to come.

Fun fact for you @Lee Newman , Terry Hall who is one of the singers in the band went on to co-write with Jane Wiedlin a little song called “Our Lips Are Sealed”

Whenever I hear that song now though I just think of that brilliant Fr Ted episode…

Back