The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

1/17/24
View attachment 193033
Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information

Re: allmusic review. Man someone needs to edit things better. The DJ shadow sentence makes no sense. Then there is a drinking game to be played with visionary, revolutionary, and idiocentric.

Last edited:
1/17/24
View attachment 193033
Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information

I actually picked this up on CD while I was in college which says something since we were well within the file-sharing/burning CD-R era by then. “Strawberry Letter #23” and The Title Track are both included on regularly on mixes from that time.

This gem from the allmusic review of the comp on Spotify:
but the fact that the 1977 and 1987 tracks do not have a great distance in either their production or sensibility doesn't speak to a unique vision, it illustrates how far into his own world Otis was.
Stephen Thomas Erlewine usually writes better than that.

I actually picked this up on CD while I was in college which says something since we were well within the file-sharing/burning CD-R era by then. “Strawberry Letter #23” and The Title Track are both included on regularly on mixes from that time.
So Strawberry Letter 23 is not on this one which is a weird comp of the last album he made and stuff he recorded between 75 and 2000. Strawberry is from the Freedom Fight lp and along with three of its album mates was added to the Luka Bop reissue from 2001. Which inexplicably was part of the World Psychedelic Classics series.

I’ve learned that Erlewine isn’t a fan this evening. Lol

I think I need to listen to a lot more psychedelic funk from the sixties and seventies if this is just run of the mill. (Hint, I’ve listened to quite a bit, I ain’t heard nothing that sounds like Maxwell that early on)

So Strawberry Letter 23 is not on this one which is a weird comp of the last album he made and stuff he recorded between 75 and 2000. Strawberry is from the Freedom Fight lp and along with three of its album mates was added to the Luka Bop reissue from 2001. Which inexplicably was part of the World Psychedelic Classics series.

I’ve learned that Erlewine isn’t a fan this evening. Lol
I am glad that The Luka Bop reissue included the bonus tracks it was the only Shuggie album I needed. The album artwork is better on that version also.

Edit: Nevermind, I was sloppy in reading your previous posts…

Is there some kind of region lock here? Cause I’m listening to the original album on Spotify here:

I don’t know? Not on Spotify or Qobuz here. Just the comp.

This is the track list from the Luka Bop reissue. Last four songs are from another album.

1/18/24
ab67616d0000b2732abc2d86a442efb6cc631d0a

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Cool. I know there is some hohum with Classic Rock around these parts. Before the other day, I would have said that while I love Zeppelin, this one through Coda are not albums I have spent a lot of time with. Technically that is still true, but I have spent a good bit of time with In Through The Out Door in the last few days. I have a feeling that this one is like that one in that I probably know the whole thing real well already. I think Presence and Coda will be different but really won't know until I happen to deep dive them. Anyhow, looking forward to this. I really like Zeppelin.

Also, I was really wanting to talk about the fact that Rolling Stone really didn't like these guys (neither did Bangs). There is a lot of revisionist history over there with listing bands like this that they thoroughly trashed time and time again as having greatest all time albums.

Also, I was really wanting to talk about the fact that Rolling Stone really didn't like these guys (neither did Bangs). There is a lot of revisionist history over there with listing bands like this that they thoroughly trashed time and time again as having greatest all time albums.
They were so big at the time it probably seemed like the hip contrarian take to act like they weren’t anything special.

Zep is fun and makes me wanna play air guitar but it’s something I have heard a lot over my life so I don’t actively seek it out to listen to much now.

1/18/24
ab67616d0000b2732abc2d86a442efb6cc631d0a

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

One of the better classic rock albums to my ears. Memorable singles and album tracks. Played "Kashmir" to death in high school band, and I still love it today.

Rating: 4/5 [Excellent]
I know there is some hohum with Classic Rock around these parts.
I feel no shame in having outed myself as someone where this can be applied to.

The only Zeppelin album that I've listened to frequently is "IV", since I owned that on vinyl back when I was a kid. I think I got the "Remasters" collection when it came out as well. I remember really liking "III" earlier in this thread, and "II" was okay too. This is also pretty good with "The Rover" being a new discovery by them that I really liked. But I doubt I will ever become a fan of them, though, beyond turning up the volume when "Kashmir" or "Rock n Roll" is on the radio.

1/12/24

View attachment 192626
Eminem - The Slim Shady LP

Long time, no see, etc

Enjoyed this when it came out but it's been the longest time since I've listened to it,

There's a definite two different sides to this album - essentially the big hits/Dre tracks and everything else. Em's bars throughout are so clever, definitely reinforced his place as one of the smartest lyricists in hip-hop of this era, and the Dre production on his tracks is on point (the Bass Brothers tracks are weaker, or at least maybe less iconic?)

I think a lot of listeners didn't realise that Slim Shady was a persona, not actually Eminem. It hasn't aged so well outside a few of the big hits, especially some of the skits, and '97 Bonny and Clyde with the burbling baby sample is a bit rubbish ...

Rating: 3/5 (would be 4/5 if it was only the Dre tracks)

Last edited:
Back