The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I will say this in the GNR versus Eminem thoughts. Maybe some of the line is that the most egregious violence is perpetrated by the characters Eminem plays and the most egregious violence is inflicted on Axel’s characters.

I’m not sure how I feel about the whole movie debate either… Fight Club, etc have larger statements about society and/or things that happen to the most egregious offenders creating a lesson to be extracted by the viewer.

I might be missing some of the social commentary in Eminem but I also wonder how much of that is inferred to make it all more palatable or to make those that don’t find their skin crawling listening to him feel okay about their enjoyment of it.

The line is too blurred for me.

IMG_7978.jpeg

The Slim Shady LP & The Marshall Mathers LP were the first two rap albums I've ever owned or listened to. And while I don't listen to Em nearly as often as I used to, I still love this album. The Eminem Show is better tho. 5/5.

favs: Brain Damage, Rock Bottom, If I Had
least fav: Bad Meets Evil (not counting the skits, then "Soap" would be the worst)

Fun fact: The only song on the album that doesn't have an "E" (for "Explicit") warning on Spotify is "'97 Bonnie and Clyde" which is by far the most grisly and stomach churning song on the album. But hey, no cursing!

"97 Bonnie and Clyde" was my biggest disappointment with this album when it came out, but because of the beat - not the lyrical content. Back on The Slime Shady EP that got him signed with Dre in the first place, it was called "Just the Two of Us" and had a very bouncy upbeat backing that made the track so much more disturbing and impactful thanks to the cognitive dissonance between the lyrical content and the happy sounding song. It was righteously messed up and oh, so effective.

Last edited:
I go back and forth between the and Doolittle for my favorite Pixies album. It usually just depends on which one I listen to last.
This is without a doubt my favorite. I LOVE all of them until the initial break up though.

David Lovering is a fucking beast. Kim Deal is insane and Joey Santiago is criminally underrated.

This is probably Albini’s best work.

1/15/24
View attachment 192900
Pixies - Surfer Rosa

I LOVE all of them until the initial break up though.
Same

If I had to rank them:

Doolittle
Surfer Rosa
Come on Pilgrim
Bossanova
Trompe Le Monde

First 3 can switch places on any given day.

EDIT: Surfer Rosa is still a 5/5 stars album though

Definitely my favourite Pixies album. It has a sort of skewed weird brilliance. Everything isn’t quite so and it’s all the better for it. Doolittle is definitely more polished and has more pop sensibilities but the lack of that sheen makes this one all the more special for me.

The Pixies is a band that I've tried with so many times. They're always fine when I'm listening to them but there's just something I can't get into and I don't even know what that is.
Same. I posted the same thing when we had Doolittle but the overplaying of their radio hits (none of which I even like all that much) has made me dislike the band even more. If one of their songs come on, I instantly turn it off.

1/16/24
View attachment 192963
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey

I’m enjoy reggae (preferably the dub stuff to the roots Rastafarian stuff but I digress) I would consider This Burning Spear record essential and would buy an original pressing if I came across one at a record store.

Back