The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I wasn’t ready for Goo. I also think Goo is why I didn’t really get into the Velvet Underground. I picked up & Nico around the same time. Goo still feels to me like the Velvets taken to their farthest extreme. I’ve bought and offloaded this album more than any other.

When I was in the midst of my cd collecting I would purge things I had not listened to in one year. This album would head to the used cd store and then a few months later, I’d be like I really want to hear Goo and I’d find a used copy and listen to it.

I certainly wasn’t ready for it in 1990 and this was with self titled and Confusion is Sex in the collection.

I love it though. I also still don’t quite get it. I think it was the band trying to move them selves a bit from Daydream but still feeling it, if that makes sense. It’s banger followed by weird art song. Rinse, repeat and it’s a LOT.

Last edited:
I have a real complicated relationship with Goo. I think Jet Set is my favorite.
Jet Set is very low key. I think Butch Vig kinda sanded the jagged edges down a little too much. It’s not bad by any means it’s all a bit too smooth for a SY album. It’s still really good just not what I am usually coming for when I wanna listen to Sonic Youth.

Daydream Nation is the best SY album, but Goo is my favorite SY album.
I'm almost with you on this one, but I find myself reaching for Dirty more often than Goo, so I think Dirty is my favorite. At least for the moment.
This was the first I heard of Sonic Youth as well. A friend of mine taped a Metallica bootleg on a C-90 for me. It covered up part of side B of that tape too, and he had taped over Goo on that side (he wasn't a fan) so I heard the second half of that album everytime I played the bootleg and forgot to turn off the tape when it was finished. I didn't get it at first but after a few listens it sank it's teeth in me and I decided to pick it up on CD. I actually think I bought Goo and Nevermind on the same day. Pretty much changed my life.

How do you top one of the greatest albums? Get signed to a major label and submit a record titled Blow Job.

I remember first hearing a bootleg of Goo and being disappointed. But by the time the album came out I had come around to it. With songs like Mote, Titanium Expose and Disappearer how could you not. 4/5

1/5/24
5efe3eae336f5fe962e200a92bd5caab0367a243

Muddy Waters - Hard Again

12/20/23
85a912b2d21c4f675db6b7fa7bfdf7ad152e67ab

Khaled - Kenza

This was evidently a comeback album after others had knocked him down a peg or two in popularity as his success caused a bit of Rai explosion in France.

3/21/23
b3e3779cfb04aa033c4444099b5fc4d9f628e004

The Divine Comedy - Casanova

Allmusic Review

RIYL

Lol… “seemed equally inspired… Jacques Brel”. Lol

Evidently dude is playing Alfie here. I’ve never seen the Jude Law update, but I saw the Michael Caine version when I was a youth. I think I would have remembered more about it if it had been some British Version of American Psycho.

I really like that the book is laid out chronologically. The other book is alphabetical which means I will be listening to a lot of Beatles at once, not a bad thing but not ideal for a true musical exploration.

Back