The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I mean I dig Prefab Sprout and Everything But the Girl which showed up in the wiki. This is like a Barry Manilow album so far and I’m not sure I can get through it tonight.
Pretty sure Tracey Thorn sings on one of the songs on this album. Ben Watt plays on it too.

Last edited:
I gave it three listens. I still don’t understand why I had to hear it before I die. I think the Johnny Hates Jazz album is garbage and I think it qualifies before this does.

12/22/23
ab67616d0000b2734a04593b7c149dc7b725683e

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

12/22/23
ab67616d0000b2734a04593b7c149dc7b725683e

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

This is one of those albums that I always assume I've listened to before. But I actually haven't so looking forward to diving into a classic. Was the part where he talks about not swearing in the original release? Kind of weird that they kept it in but censored the swear word. Can't say a curse word but here's my next song about cocaine and murder!

This is one of those albums that I always assume I've listened to before. But I actually haven't so looking forward to diving into a classic. Was the part where he talks about not swearing in the original release? Kind of weird that they kept it in but censored the swear word. Can't say a curse word but here's my next song about cocaine and murder!
Yes. Times were different.

Yeah, that’s how it was originally released. Cash was a complicated man.

love Johnny Cash, I was lucky enough to find a perfect condition Stereo original pressing. Cash and Willie Nelson were my gateway in going from hating all country music to loving the genre but there was probably about a decade where I would’ve said I hate all country music except for Cash and Willie. Until the American Recordings releases this (and to a lesser extent San Quentin) was probably the only essential album he released but a compilation of his Sun singles makes for a fantastic listen as well.

I disagree about the essential comment but I feel you. In addition to the albums TLK mentioned, I would say the following are solid albums that will help you better understand the Man in Black.

With His Hot and Blue Guitar
The Fabulous Johnny Cash
Hymns by Johnny Cash
Now There Was A Song
Bitter Tears
Carryin’ On

I disagree about the essential comment but I feel you. In addition to the albums TLK mentioned, I would say the following are solid albums that will help you better understand the Man in Black.

The Fabulous Johnny Cash
Hymns by Johnny Cash
Now There Was A Song
Bitter Tears
Carryin’ On
Solid, but I would add ”The Junkie and the Juicehead Minus Me ” to that list. ”At Folsom Prison” is in my top five live albums ever.

The Fabulous Johnny Cash
Hymns by Johnny Cash
Now There Was A Song
Bitter Tears
Carryin’ On

American III is still my favourite Johnny Cash album.

American III is still my favourite Johnny Cash album.
I’m not saying that the American albums aren’t great, they are. Which one is best would probably differ on what day of the week it is and which one I listened to last. I’d probably say the first one more often than not.

I just think there are other essential albums. I think this one has a certain romantic quality to it - jailhouse recording, Johnny cursing knowing it will be bleeped, the label didn’t want it done, it was HUGE and put him back on the map.

I’d take Hot and Blue or Bitter Tears over Folsom Prison most any day.

Part of the problem with Johnny’s catalog and I am a HUGE fan is that it’s pretty inconsistent. There’s almost something worth listening to on every album and there are a few minor gems here and there: I Would Like to See You Again or Johnny 99.

It’s kind of the epitome of a daunting catalog in both its sheer volume and knowing what to listen to.

On CD - he’s up there with Miles and Prince and Neil as an artist I have an awful lot of. But like all of them he has peaks and valleys, his just seem to be a little more pronounced. Rubin may have gotten the best run of him ever. Says a lot for the way Rubin does things.

I’m not saying that the American albums aren’t great, they are. Which one is best would probably differ on what day of the week it is and which one I listened to last. I’d probably say the first one more often than not.

I just think there are other essential albums. I think this one has a certain romantic quality to it - jailhouse recording, Johnny cursing knowing it will be bleeped, the label didn’t want it done, it was HUGE and put him back on the map.

I’d take Hot and Blue or Bitter Tears over Folsom Prison most any day.

Part of the problem with Johnny’s catalog and I am a HUGE fan is that it’s pretty inconsistent. There’s almost something worth listening to on every album and there are a few minor gems here and there: I Would Like to See You Again or Johnny 99.

It’s kind of the epitome of a daunting catalog in both its sheer volume and knowing what to listen to.

On CD - he’s up there with Miles and Prince and Neil as an artist I have an awful lot of. But like all of them he has peaks and valleys, his just seem to be a little more pronounced. Rubin may have gotten the best run of him ever. Says a lot for the way Rubin does things.

I don’t disagree with any of this. Outside of the American albums Folsom and San Quentin sit at totems for me. I wish there was a sort of album that had the best of the studio recording of the sun and early Columbia stuff.

The American stuff does appeal to me, as a not particularly huge country fan, the most, and of those III has always felt like the most realised one.

I don’t disagree with any of this. Outside of the American albums Folsom and San Quentin sit at totems for me. I wish there was a sort of album that had the best of the studio recording of the sun and early Columbia stuff.

The American stuff does appeal to me, as a not particularly huge country fan, the most, and of those III has always felt like the most realised one.
The Legend box is probably the best overview of everything. I’ll have to look through my cds for more zeroed in collections.

Ugh… it seems the actual settings to put on hold are gone and you have to reach out to them by email, Reddit or x. I’ll try to remember to email them later today.

Back