The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

12/19/23
View attachment 190804
Public Image Ltd. - Public Image: First Issue

I haven’t chimed in on this thread in a long time, but I will hot take that Public Image Ltd. has a greater musical legacy than the Sex Pistols and is a greater reward of repeated listens.

I haven’t chimed in on this thread in a long time, but I will hot take that Public Image Ltd. has a greater musical legacy than the Sex Pistols and is a greater reward of repeated listens.
I honestly haven’t listen to much PIL outside of whatever MTV deemed to play on 120 Minutes. The Sex Pistols are probably my least favorite of the big original Punk Bands, although I am coming around to an appreciation of them. I think I pulled this in the other thread. I listened to it for some reason recently enough anyhow. It’s pretty interesting and I could see why you would have that take.

I honestly haven’t listen to much PIL outside of whatever MTV deemed to play on 120 Minutes. The Sex Pistols are probably my least favorite of the big original Punk Bands, although I am coming around to an appreciation of them. I think I pulled this in the other thread. I listened to it for some reason recently enough anyhow. It’s pretty interesting and I could see why you would have that take.
Yeah, Metal Box/Second Edition is the one that does it for me and is my favorite work involving Mr. Lydon

I don’t think that’s too hot a take. Most post punk is way more interesting than the initial burst of punk. It’s equally hard to argue in the inverse it’s as big or important as that initial burst because without punk hitting the zeitgeist through “God Save The Queen” and then “Never Mind The Bollocks” there never would have been the whole post punk scene, they all preach their indebtedness to the Pistols.

I don’t think that’s too hot a take. Most post punk is way more interesting than the initial burst of punk. It’s equally hard to argue in the inverse it’s as big or important as that initial burst because without punk hitting the zeitgeist through “God Save The Queen” and then “Never Mind The Bollocks” there never would have been the whole post punk scene, they all preach their indebtedness to the Pistols.
History debates this. I’ve never sat down with dates but at least on this side of the pond the narrative is Punk happened in two places at once.

PIL would not have happened without The Sex Pistols but I think PIL is a more interesting bit of influence on what happened after.

History debates this. I’ve never sat down with dates but at least on this side of the pond the narrative is Punk happened in two places at once.

PIL would not have happened without The Sex Pistols but I think PIL is a more interesting bit of influence on what happened after.

I think America happened first, the roots of punk your side definitely pre date the pistols.

But it also predates the internet by a long way and music that was below the mainstream or big acts definitely took longer to percolate and there is an argument that uk punk probably blew up to be a big thing earlier. I don’t think there were many US punk acts in 1977 that were rumoured to have been kept off the number 1 spot by establishment fiddling to keep up appearances!

But yes, PIL and the whole Manchester scene that came from, or were initially influenced by, the pistols were definitely more interesting than the pistols.

Back