The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

ba2d40cd66ad2a41b9c87289a168cfe6ec30eebf

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

Confession time... I don't this album or any of the early albums very well. I came on board with Elephant and have all the studio albums from that point on cd. I have the greatest hits vault package. I don't see any reason to buy any more on vinyl.

Last.fm leads me to believe this may actually be my first listen of this album.

The only song I recognize by title is We're Going to Be Friends which I know better from this version:

Last edited:
Confession time... I don't this album or any of the early albums very well. I came on board with Elephant and have all the studio albums on cd. I have the greatest hits vault package. I don't see any reason to buy any more on vinyl.

The only song I recognize by title is We're Going to Be Friends which I know better from this version:

You probably weren't watching MTV at the time, but the Lego music video for 'Fell in Love With A Girl' was huge. Same with the 'Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground' one too. The latter was the first song from them I really fell in love with. I didn't hear the whole album until I picked up the cd sometime around when Elephant came out, but it's my favorite from them.

Confession time... I don't this album or any of the early albums very well. I came on board with Elephant and have all the studio albums on cd. I have the greatest hits vault package. I don't see any reason to buy any more on vinyl.

You probably weren't watching MTV at the time, but the Lego music video for 'Fell in Love With A Girl' was huge. Same with the 'Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground' one too. The latter was the first song from them I really fell in love with. I didn't hear the whole album until I picked up the cd sometime around when Elephant came out, but it's my favorite from them.

Never had mtv but I remember this one blowing up huge over here in 2001/2002. NME latched onto it very early and they played a few shows in London and got a distibution deal with XL.

This is definitely my favourite by them too. Fell In Love With A Girl, Hotel Yorba and Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground were all big indie hits.

I think I have actually seen both those videos.

I did like this more than the couple before it.

I put the White Stripes in the same category as The Black Keys. There's nothing overtly offensive about them. But I never feel the need to put them on. And when I'm listening it's just kind of "this is fine". No more, no less. Especially the earlier albums where it's kind of a one trick pony.

You probably weren't watching MTV MTV2 at the time, but the Lego music video for 'Fell in Love With A Girl' was huge. Same with the 'Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground' one too. The latter was the first song from them I really fell in love with. I didn't hear the whole album until I picked up the cd sometime around when Elephant came out, but it's my favorite from them.
FIFY. I feel like by the early 2000s MTV had already shifted away from music videos

I figured the version that @Lee Newman woulda been familiar with was the Soulful cover that became a hit for Joss Stone a couple years later…

Dude can play guitar and I don’t really care much for his solo stuff.
I don’t disagree. I like The White Stripes and I like his solo stuff through the acoustic album. However, he’s propped up like the second coming and I’ve never really understood it.

He’s a revivalist with style. His work to promote roots music and lesser known acts is far more important to me than his actual Music. Don’t even get me started in the disappointment that is TMR.

ba2d40cd66ad2a41b9c87289a168cfe6ec30eebf

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

I started college in the fall of 2000 and discover pitchforkmedia.com shortly after arriving. My last few years of high school I had been obsessed with DMB and similar bands of their ilk modern jam band/frat bro rock. When I arrive at campus I had a realization that I really didn’t care much for jam bands actually jamming out. I would often smoke too much weed and fall asleep at their live shows while the band was playfully working it’s way through a 10 minute guitar solo. Which brings me to pitchfork and the greater music blog community of the early 2000s. The Strokes first caught my attention, and though I really wanted to hate them, a bunch of NYC elite prep school kids with wealthy parents “slumming it” in the world of indie rock; I couldn’t escape the musics charm. They led me to the other big acts of the time, Interpol, Yeah, Yeah Yeahs, Ryan Adams, and The White Stripes. At the time I wasn’t nearly as steeped in pop and underground music’s history so for me any sounds borrowed from other bands I wouldn’t discover until later. At the beginning of the new millennia, the indie rock revival was where I’d hang my hat moving forward.

White Blood Cells was my introduction to the band and is still my favorite White Stripes record (though Elephant and De Stijl are pretty much perfect too). I really didn’t know what garage rock was prior to WBC but the mix of noisy raw guitar and booming primal drums spoke to me in ways I hadn’t really felt since the early 90s. The gateway tracks for me were the gentler tunes. “Hotel Yorba” was the first Stripes songs I had ever heard which veered closer to Dylan than to The Stooges and “I Think That We Are Going To Be Friends”, as demonstrated by Jack Johnson’s cover, was almost a children’s songs with its hushed acoustic strumming and innocent lyrics. While those tracks were great it’s was the electric guitar stomps that became the reason I would listen to WBC consistently for the next couple years. “Dead Leaves”, “Fell In Love With A Girl”,”Offend In Every Way”, Same Boy You’ve Always Known” “I Think I Smell A Rat” those were the raw meat of the album that had me craving for more.

Last edited:
Hot take time, Jack White is the most overrated musician of his generation.

Dude can play guitar and I don’t really care much for his solo stuff.

I don’t disagree. I like The White Stripes and I like his solo stuff through the acoustic album. However, he’s propped up like the second coming and I’ve never really understood it.

He’s a revivalist with style. His work to promote roots music and lesser known acts is far more important to me than his actual Music. Don’t even get me started in the disappointment that is TMR.

co-sign. He's decent and mostly inoffensive (musically anyway,) but without my interest in his music wanes sharply if Meg White's not playing with him. Conceptually, I like Third Man's ideals and what they're trying to do, but their execution is just .... so weak. All of those Verve By Request titles are just absolute fire and they bungled it so bad. You've got a lineup with Dorothy Ashby, Alice Coltrane, James Brown and banger album after banger album and you fuck it up so bad that everyone's universal reaction is "meh. mid." WHAT. Turd Man Records doesn't even cover it.

I put the White Stripes in the same category as The Black Keys. There's nothing overtly offensive about them. But I never feel the need to put them on. And when I'm listening it's just kind of "this is fine". No more, no less. Especially the earlier albums where it's kind of a one trick pony.
I prefer both groups earlier works infinitely more than their later/solo work. I just want the guitar and drums, the more stuff that gets added to the mix the less interested I become. I feel like latter day Black Keys and Solo Jack White spent a lot of time catering to modern rock radio which sanded down their sharp corners eliminating the elements that I found interesting about the band in the first place.

I prefer both groups earlier works infinitely more than their later/solo work. I just want the guitar and drums, the more stuff that gets added to the mix the less interested I become. I feel like latter day Black Keys and Solo Jack White spent a lot of time catering to modern rock radio which sanded down their sharp corners eliminating the elements that I found interesting about the band in the first place.
I don’t know, Jack White’s last (at least two of) three albums have been out there…. Too far out there.

I don’t know, Jack White’s last (at least two of) three albums have been out there…. Too far out there.
I guess I should have clarified, his post White Stripes stuff. By the time he had released his last two albums I had already lost interest completely and haven’t heard a note of either. I read a lot of reviews and comments and neither sounded like something I would enjoy but I guess at least he’s trying something different. Also, it’s kind of fun to watch people who really love White contort themselves into a “”Well, actually it’s not that bad” stance.

Back