The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

The Eagles self titled album is probably my favorite from them actually. A big reason the Hotel California one sold a lot too is because it came after their huge selling greatest hits album, so none of these hits were on there.

I enjoy the Eagles more than most here, but definitely agree with a lot of the negative opinions except for the ones that just say they were shit. My parents are those boomers whom this is their favorite band so I grew up listening to them a lot. I also agree their singles are their bread and butter, and for most people a greatest hits comp would suffice. Probably a 3.5/5 for me.

The Eagles self titled album is probably my favorite from them actually. A big reason the Hotel California one sold a lot too is because it came after their huge selling greatest hits album, so none of these hits were on there.

I enjoy the Eagles more than most here, but definitely agree with a lot of the negative opinions except for the ones that just say they were shit. My parents are those boomers whom this is their favorite band so I grew up listening to them a lot. I also agree their singles are their bread and butter, and for most people a greatest hits comp would suffice. Probably a 3.5/5 for me.
This is what I have and I really think this is all you need. Includes the stuff from Hotel.

My wife didn’t need you to give me this information. 😀
Tell her I told you back in July before she listened to it!

My wife spent a good bit of the afternoon trying to rationalize why folks, including herself like The Eagles. This really started in earnest after she was singing along and went “yeah, this is mediocre.” I was like “that’s exactly what’s wrong with them.”
reminded me of this clip:

My wife spent a good bit of the afternoon trying to rationalize why folks, including herself like The Eagles. This really started in earnest after she was singing along and went “yeah, this is mediocre.” I was like “that’s exactly what’s wrong with them.”

She made comments about it being vanilla and safe (more specifically artificial vanilla not real vanilla). She also said there is a certain amount of longing in the songs that many connect with. She also discussed the singability, that their songs are easy to remember and sing a long with. Also that it’s country lite which probably appeals to those that would rather not admit they like Country.

She also agreed with me that the singles are good and the rest is forgettable. Like there are no deep cuts that are worth a that’s my favorite to seem cool or whatever.

Hopefully, you needn't Eagle, but if you feel the need to Eagle, Eagle this.

Felder is hot. Leadon is holding down the rhythm. Meisner is doing his best Entwhistle...

My problem with this album is that it is front loaded with the hits. The second half of the album does not even come close to being as memorable. It’s also tooo long.
Metallica worked much better with shorter more concise albums but all that flew out the window when And Justice was the their most popular (at the time) album. First half of the album is a four star working on five album. Second half is a three working on two snooze fest.

Last edited:
I know you don't control the list. If you did, we would've seen Puch Brothers a long time ago. And it would be a much better list. Hell, Lee Bains might've even snuck in there.
I think there is a distinct difference between 1000 records I love (hell I can easily think of … say … 2767, lol - one of which happens to be this album - I dig Metallica) and a thousand albums that I would curate for “everybody” (I think that conceit doesn’t work as most people are not going to even give 1000 albums the time of day) with the auspice that these are albums you should listen to. I can’t even say that you shouldn’t listen to Limp Bizkit - I absolutely think you should - you can’t have an informed opinion about music (much less an objective one) if you don’t at least try.

I find it weird that people think this is an all time best or bucket album list. I don’t think that’s the purpose at all. I think it’s basically, if you are or think you are a music fan - these albums (for a variety of reasons - some are arguably the best and others are simply things you have to acknowledge) are things you should listen to at least once.

I mean I will never ever listen to that Casanova album again. Unfortunately, I will listen to French guy album again because I did that in the other thread. (And there is a possibility I return to that one as I learn about his influence)

Hell - I hold on to my Art Ensemble and Beefheart records as projects for myself. Ornette Coleman’s Shape of Jazz to Come was a project album that I had to work to appreciate and in doing so, it opened up other music for me. I’m not sure I would appreciate Sun Ra or Pharaoh Sanders or McCoy Tyner if I hadn’t put that work in.

But I do realize that this may all be my projection. For all I know the author of the list says these are the greatest albums of all time, but then why not title the book “The greatest 1001 Albums of all time?”

This is how I approach the list.

One day I might grab the book. My poor wife probably wishes I wouldn’t though. I’m sure there are plenty of albums from this that she’s rather not experience again.

My problem with this album is that it is front loaded with the hits. The second half of the album does not even come close to being as memorable. It’s also tooo long.
Metallica worked much better with shorter more concise albums but all that flew out the window when And Justice was the their most popular (at the time) album. First half of the album is a four star working on dove album. Second half is a three working on two snooze fest.
I agree the first few albums work best. I'm actually overall not a fan of And Justice for All. At least with this album the songs are a little more accessible. They're also shorter so a mediocre song is over in about 4 minutes where on And Justice For All the tracks just kept going and going. IMO, Nothing Else Matters and Of Wolf and Man hold up the back album of this album nicely.

I agree the first few albums work best. I'm actually overall not a fan of And Justice for All. At least with this album the songs are a little more accessible. They're also shorter so a mediocre song is over in about 4 minutes where on And Justice For All the tracks just kept going and going. IMO, Nothing Else Matters and Of Wolf and Man hold up the back album of this album nicely.
They progressively get better through Master of Puppets, then they get full of themselves.

I actually think their approach of not criticizing each other is probably harmful all the way around.

Back