The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I have a complicated history with this band. For the longest time the only song I thought was worth a damn was Desperado. Years after the whole Hell Freezes Over thing, I saw it and was like huh. So I have that and a best of double CD. I still firmly believe that may be two discs too many.

I don’t remember why (it may have been the other thread) but I listened to this album this year for the first time. I, of course, knew all of the hits. What I really found odd was how bad the album was. It just got worse and the non hit songs were awful.

Anyhow I’ll try to listen with new ears and all but bar is set real low.

This album is having the opposite effect of yesterday's album. zzzzzz....
Done listening. It's fine but I never got the appeal of The Eagles. Might partly be due to that my office used "Take It to the Limit" for our hold music and every time I called in and got put on hold I would hear that song. For 10 years! I never want to hear that goddamn song again! I'll give this one a 3/5. Nothing outstanding but nothing offensive.

11/3/23
View attachment 186332
The Eagles - Hotel California

It’s fine. Personally, I think the pendulum on The Eagles has swung too far into the “Eagles Suck” category. Inexplicably The Eagles are boomer parents that don’t really listen to music that much favorite band and thusly sold way more albums than make sense and for that reason I think some of the distain is justified. To me, they fit with other bands of that era Jackson Brown, James Taylor, Bozz Skags, Poco, etc… and if they had sales numbers closer to those artists I don’t think they would generate as much vitriol as they do. But the fact that the Eagles has managed be in the conversation with Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and Madonna based largely on album sales causes many music fans brains to short circuit a bit. Also, The Big Lebowski’s take down of the band has contributed to the current view by many that The Eagles were trash. While I will never understand why they resonated with so many of our parents I can appreciate them for what they are which is a pretty good 1970s rock band to which Hotel California was their magnum opus.

This is one of those occasions where if you have nothing nice to say about the blandness of the Eagles, then don’t say anything.

I’d ordinarily agree but the fact that it is just so bland and kinda exemplifies a world view that might be kinda acceptable in the hue of dystopian cynicism just isn’t in the widescreen Technicolor celebration it’s given. Plus the song Hotel California genuinely disturbed me as a young child.

Fuck the eagles and the pendulum can never swing too far away from this turd burger of a band.

Back