The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

10/26/23
ab67616d0000b2731bd04917ad890de8ec16ab44

Blood, Sweat & Tears - Blood, Sweat & Tears

I actually just listened to this album for the first time the other week and I liked it more than I thought I would! The two big songs are obviously the stars here but “Smiling Phases” and “More and More” are absolutely bangers also. Love the vocal performances on this, just not really into the extended jazz instrumental breaks.

Definitely did not deserve to win AOTY at the Grammys against “Abbey Road”, “Crosby Stills and Nash”, “The Age of Aquarius” and “Johnny Cash at San Quentin”; but it’s also not the worst album to win the award

I actually just listened to this album for the first time the other week and I liked it more than I thought I would! The two big songs are obviously the stars here but “Smiling Phases” and “More and More” are absolutely bangers also. Love the vocal performances on this, just not really into the extended jazz instrumental breaks.

Definitely did not deserve to win AOTY at the Grammys against “Abbey Road”, “Crosby Stills and Nash”, “The Age of Aquarius” and “Johnny Cash at San Quentin”; but it’s also not the worst album to win the award
Grammys very dependably weird.

10/26/23
ab67616d0000b2731bd04917ad890de8ec16ab44

Blood, Sweat & Tears - Blood, Sweat & Tears

Having trouble getting into this. It's not bad....but it sounds very bland and generic to me. Even the songs I recognize aren't songs that stand out to me on classic rock radio. They're just kind of like "oh yeah, I've heard this before. It's fine". Probably a 2/5 for me.

"You've Made Me So Very Happy" is on a shortlist of my favourite Billboard top 40 hits of the entire 1960s, I love it so much. The rest of the B,S&T album doesn't quite live up to that song, but I still think it's a really good record nonetheless. 4/5.

favs: "You've Made Me So Very Happy", "And When I Die", "Spinning Wheel", "More and More"
least fav: "Smiling Phases"

"You've Made Me So Very Happy" is on a shortlist of my favourite Billboard top 40 hits of the entire 1960s, I love it so much. The rest of the B,S&T album doesn't quite live up to that song, but I still think it's a really good record nonetheless. 4/5.

favs: "You've Made Me So Very Happy", "And When I Die", "Spinning Wheel", "More and More"
least fav: "Smiling Phases"
Big Oklahoma fan?

This is a tough one for me, I have thought for a large part of my Dylan fandom that it is his most overrated album. It also contains some of my absolute favorite songs by Dylan. Anyhow will be interesting to think about it at this point in my life.
I think it's properly rated. Personally I am more attached to and inspired by Highway 61 from this era, but it was the finale of a very special time in his career. Fewer standouts, perhaps, but it flows perfectly and has such a distinct sound. "Visions of Johanna" a contender for his greatest song. The live recordings from '66 also show him at a true peak (among many).

I think it's properly rated. Personally I am more attached to and inspired by Highway 61 from this era, but it was the finale of a very special time in his career. Fewer standouts, perhaps, but it flows perfectly and has such a distinct sound. "Visions of Johanna" a contender for his greatest song. The live recordings from '66 also show him at a true peak (among many).

In many ways I prefer the live stuff from this era to this one. It’s great and Visions of Johanna and Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again are special. Where I struggle is that the opening track is probably one of the worst and most hated songs for me by an artist I love and the album is in a really high sharp key and I can find that quite hard to listen to a length or repeatedly.

It’s a great album but personally it’s 6th or 7th in my Dylan rankings.

Bootleg 4? Now that live set is out of this world.

Observation from my wife that I had not noticed until she pointed it out this morning, his voice warbles through the whole damn thing.

I agree with Joe - Rainy Day Women to me is what Maxwell’s Silver Hammer/Obladibiblah is to folks with the Beatles. I also agree that Johanna and Memphis are sublime and some of his best work period.

His point about it being somehwhere down is what I get with overrated. This is often touted as THE Dylan albums. It’s good but there are several (Highway and Blood on the Tracks) that just trounce it. Although I think it’s stature may be similar to when Black Pumas made our AOTY. It wasn’t #1 on a lot of lists but it was on a lot of lists.

Where I struggle is that it is also kind of THE Dylan album too. It feels like it covers everything up to that point in style and substance. It is highly representative maybe even singularly so of what Dylan is all about.

It’s an odd thing in that it is worthy of the praise it receives and also not worthy of it. Like Dylan himself, it is complicated and draws you in despite any misgivings about it.

Back