The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I had been a fan of Soundgarden since Louder Than Love and think Bad Motor Finger is a top twenty all time album, top ten metal album and only second to In Utero in the whole “grunge” thing. Even before Black Hole Sun got played into the dirt, I thought this slick, well produced album just felt an awful lot like they’d lost everything I loved about them.

10/19/23
View attachment 185024
Soundgarden - Superunknown

I liked (even loved) this in college back then. Now? Eh...I kinda don't. Certainly wouldn't have any space in my vinyl library.

It has had its time. I'll smile when a song comes on the bar radio, then shrug my shoulders and move on with my life.

Rating: 2.5/5 [Decent]

I had been a fan of Soundgarden since Louder Than Love and think Bad Motor Finger is a top twenty all time album, top ten metal album and only second to In Utero in the whole “grunge” thing. Even before Black Hole Sun got played into the dirt, I thought this slick, well produced album just felt an awful lot like they’d lost everything I loved about them.
I agree that Badmotorfinger is their greatest moment, and a top ten metal album of all time. This is their shot at the mainstream and their version of Metallicas black album in that sense. I remember a review of that said something like “they’re travelling on the wide highways of the mainstream on this album, but they’re riding in the pitch black dead of night and fast as hell”. This is my take as well. Songwriting is still great. The slick production puts a commercial sheen on everything though, which is a bit off putting.

10/19/23
View attachment 185024
Soundgarden - Superunknown

I don't understand how I made it this far in life without listening to this album. It was probably one of the best 90's alternative/grunge albums I've listened to. 4/5 for me because it did feel a little long. I was already thinking it was a great album before I noticed that Black Hole Sun and Spoonman hadn't even been on yet. Kind of weird that they're both so buried in the album.

10/19/23
View attachment 184945
Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour

I forgot to rate this one.

Kacey's side of country that she presents here is one that I like, especially given that it contains pop sensibility. This is one of the best modern country/pop crossovers I've heard possibly ever. Kacey has really pretty vocals, particularly gripping on the opener "Slow Burn," sounds like leaves falling in autumn. The ending run of "High Horse" to "Rainbow" is godtier, and amplifies my impression/score considerably. I do think the middle of the record has a few tracks that didn't stick out to me, but may have just been my then feeling after a pair of listens.
You're not going to get me to be a country music believer, but this one is a wonderful marriage of two worlds. I've noticed that sticking to women in the genre bears better results overall for me.

Rating: 3.5/5 [Great]

Man, Rolling Stone didn’t think much of it:

Queen II​

BY KEN BARNES
JUNE 20, 1974

Queen is a reasonably talented band who have chosen their models unwisely. On "Side Black," they venture into a lyrically muddled fairy-tale world with none of Genesis's wit or sophistication. They've also appropriated the most irritating elements of Yes's style — histrionic vocals, abrupt and pointless compositional complexity, and a dearth of melody. "Side White" is quite an improvement, containing many of the same muddled tendencies, but with the saving grace of timely and well-chosen power chords and some rather pretty tunes. But the album remains a floundering and sadly unoriginal affair.
2 1/2 stars.

Back