The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

10/17/23
View attachment 184778
D’Angelo - Brown Sugar

He is among the GOATs in the genre. One of my top50 artists all time. All three studio records have been spaced out so far from one another. Yet each sound incredibly unique, epitomizing the (at the time) new essence of groove by emphasizing the downbeat with steady snare. The influence on modern R&B cannot be understated. Looking back, much of 90s R&B was not great, and is kinda cringe now.

But truthfully, the best D'Angelo record? The one that I last played.

Rating: 5/5 [Masterpiece]

10/18/23
View attachment 184848
Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Loved You

An arrest warrant gonna come for me if I don't assign it a perfect score. So I will. It is deserving, and bears classics important to the history of soul music.

Rating: 5/5 [Masterpiece]

So I listened to my MoFi Pretenders (yes it is great) while reading this:
Before spinning Aretha and it seems very much like that album is a direct reaction to this one now.

Also, Kurt Loder is a hell of a writer.

So I listened to this a couple of times when it came out but never really paid too much attention to it. I really dug Pageant Material. I kind of found this direction disappointing at the time.

Also, I had no idea that Trailer was her fourth album.

So I listened to this a couple of times when it came out but never really paid too much attention to it. I really dug Pageant Material. I kind of found this direction disappointing at the time.

Also, I had no idea that Trailer was her fourth album.
I agree with all of this. Golden Hour is a very good album and was absolutely the album she needed to make to break through to the mainstream but I enjoy her two previous albums much more.

Last edited:
Back