The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

10/2/23
View attachment 183674
Pretenders - Pretenders

Pretenders and Pretenders II are two of the greatest first and second albums out there. You could also throw the Extended Play EP in there as well.

The original lineup left a trail of scorched earth along the live music trail. They were sublime.

Thanks James and Pete...

My friend groups 1001 album pick today was U2's Joshua Tree. Don't know who they are, but they sound like some other stuff I like. Super underground pick if you've never heard them before.

In all seriousness, I've been meaning to actually sit down and give them a listen. One of those bands where I know everything around them and a ton of stuff they influenced, but never listened to them beyond radio hits. Gotta say, I think I'm a fan now.

My friend groups 1001 album pick today was U2's Joshua Tree. Don't know who they are, but they sound like some other stuff I like. Super underground pick if you've never heard them before.

In all seriousness, I've been meaning to actually sit down and give them a listen. One of those bands where I know everything around them and a ton of stuff they influenced, but never listened to them beyond radio hits. Gotta say, I think I'm a fan now.
Isn't the whole first half of The Joshua Tree radio hits? Lol

Yeah, first 3 tracks are. The rest was all unknown to me, but really good, especially the last 3 tracks.
Yeah, those are pretty underrated tracks. I love U2 but The Joshua Tree is probably my least favorite era of theirs. The album after The Joshua Tree (well, maybe not technically after if you count Rattle & Hum) Achtung Baby is a pretty big left turn sound wise. Their 90's era is the sweet spot for me. If you want more experimental sounding go forward in their discography. If you want more basic guitar, drums bass and post punk sound, go backwards.

This Pretenders record is really cool. It's kind of like all of the eighties through the filter of one band in one album. It's punky, it's straight up rock, it's new wave, it's that Billy Idol Attitude pop. This is another one I am gonna have to get.

I was just about to say that the reissue from a couple of years ago is quite nice, decent price and readily available.

Streamed while on the choo-choo to Mount Royal. 4/5. 1 point deducted for marrying Jim Kerr
Meh, this will be interesting... I plan on a-bing the MoFi to Quboz Hi-Res. May even turn the input switch on the VU meters to level volume.

Yeah, those are pretty underrated tracks. I love U2 but The Joshua Tree is probably my least favorite era of theirs. The album after The Joshua Tree (well, maybe not technically after if you count Rattle & Hum) Achtung Baby is a pretty big left turn sound wise. Their 90's era is the sweet spot for me. If you want more experimental sounding go forward in their discography. If you want more basic guitar, drums bass and post punk sound, go backwards.
Good to know, thanks! Looks like I need to do a deep dive.

This is fucking weird. I like the music. Hate the guys voice and the lyrics are always overly clever to the point of them being nonsense and when they do make sense, well,, I’m not sure these are guys I want to hang out with.

My darling,
My dumpling,
My plump hearts a' thumping- begging you to come to me.
I couldn't be more ready,
I couldn't be more ready.
A glottal stop.
Bottled up.
Waiting for the penny drop.

We're all quiffed and cropped,
This is our lot,
We hold each other up heavy with hops.
And now I’m listening to some weird Sondheim outtake.

Qobuz doesn’t know what to make of it either. It auto played Brendan’s Death Song by Red Hot Chili Peppers after it. 🥴

Last edited:
Back