The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Actually if we’re talking Dexy’s we need @Murfocakes input. He’s the Dexy’s and Kevin Rowland superfan around these parts.

He does have good taste.

Like I wish I’d known this earlier.

It’s like when I met my wife and we realized just how close we had been to meeting each other over time, it was like I could have had more time with you!!!
I was at Dexys during the week in Dublin. Absolutely brilliant. One of the best live acts about.

9/29/23
178278f98ca9e59338bcbab3620ce8755ca78ec5

Sly and the Family Stone - Stand!

how does this differ from the original?

Kevin Rowland didn’t like how the original sounded, felt it differed sonically to the other other 2 of the first 3. He went back and remixed and remastered it last year to have it fit in more with the same sound.

I’ll be honest I don’t hear a massive massive difference.

What stuck me on my listen last night was how much of like the first wave dungeon family sound is contained in just I Want to Take You higher… that kind of stuttering beat, the harmonica, the grimy bass line, much less the whole chicken fried funk sound

Kevin Rowland didn’t like how the original sounded, felt it differed sonically to the other other 2 of the first 3. He went back and remixed and remastered it last year to have it fit in more with the same sound.

I’ll be honest I don’t hear a massive massive difference.
Mostly because I am an idiot, this post got this stuck in my head:

Cool. I want Dexy’s but will probably look for an original in the wild since @Joe Mac says the current version’s pressing is subpar.

The current pressing of the new remix isn’t great. I don’t know about the original mix.

I have just bought Japanese OGs of their first 3 albums so I’ll report back when they arrive and I’ve them cleaned and played!

The pressing of the new remix isn’t great. I don’t know about the original mix.

I have just bought Japanese OGs of their first 3 albums so I’ll report back when they arrive and I’ve them cleaned and played!
If there is a current pressing of the original mix, it ain’t available over here. I didn’t look real hard but whenever anyone had it, it was the remix…

If there is a current pressing of the original mix, it ain’t available over here. I didn’t look real hard but whenever anyone had it, it was the remix…

Yeah Kevin Rowland was not a fan of how it originally sounded so I’d say that he considers this the album now.

While it isn’t a good pressing in some ways it’s not as egregious as with singer songwriter music for example. The music often drowns out the crackle but equally it’s still just not good enough.

Back