The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Sonic Youth is a band that on paper I should also be all over. I have been digging into mainly Daydream Nation, Goo and Bad Moon Rising throughout the last year or so and look forward to trying this one out soon.

I also read Girl in a Band and unfortunately cannot echo the recommendations for it here. For a SY superfan I can see it being interesting, but I thought it was very scattered and Kim came across as pretty self-absorbed (not to the extent that Thurston clearly was, of course, but still not well) and, for lack of a better word, uh, boomer-y?
TBF, Kim is 70 years old (5 years older than my own mother) and she’s fairly self absorbed but I think of that has more to do with her being an Artist 👩‍🎨 than a Boomer (maybe it’s a combo of both) but I never thought it was anything worse than Lou Reed or Bruce Springsteen.

TBF, Kim is 70 years old (5 years older than my own mother) and she’s fairly self absorbed but I think of that has more to do with her being an Artist 👩‍🎨 than a Boomer (maybe it’s a combo of both) but I never thought it was anything worse than Lou Reed or Bruce Springsteen.
For sure. There was just way too much "Back in my day, NYC was..." (for example) for my taste. I've read very few musician memoirs because for the most part I find them excruciatingly dry and pompous, so I don't doubt it's any different than the two you mentioned.

For sure. There was just way too much "Back in my day, NYC was..." (for example) for my taste. I've read very few musician memoirs because for the most part I find them excruciatingly dry and pompous, so I don't doubt it's any different than the two you mentioned.
Yeah, I tend to prefer a good Biography to a memoir or Autobiography also as most of the time most when people write about themselves they like to gloss over things that show them in a bad light.

Yeah, I tend to prefer a good Biography to a memoir or Autobiography also as most of the time most when people write about themselves they like to gloss over things that show them in a bad light.
Plus Shakey was well written, Wagjng Heavy Peace was like reading a 400 page fifth grade thesis. (Although I’m not sure Young pulled any punches directed towards himself.)

So, I was like I know the name but I don’t know their music. Then I saw the track list and I was like COME ONE EILEEN??? Then I saw this blurb on the bio at Allmusic:
Soul music with the D.I.Y. attitude of punk, filtered through the instrumentation and musical forms of Ireland.
AND NOW I AM FUCKING STOKED.

And conflicted because I really want to listen to this but have also started watching the new episode of Welcome to Wrexham

I love Dexys, and this is a great album, but I tend to reach for their two other great albums (Searching for the Young Soul Rebels and Don’t Stand Me Down) when I’m in the mood for punkish soul rock. Still an essential album in my book!

Last edited:
Sonic Youth is a band that on paper I should also be all over. I have been digging into mainly Daydream Nation, Goo and Bad Moon Rising throughout the last year or so and look forward to trying this one out soon.

I also read Girl in a Band and unfortunately cannot echo the recommendations for it here. For a SY superfan I can see it being interesting, but I thought it was very scattered and Kim came across as pretty self-absorbed (not to the extent that Thurston clearly was, of course, but still not well) and, for lack of a better word, uh, boomer-y?

Read this and you'll recognize Kim Gordon as Shakespeare. It's like spending 4 hours with a junkie endlessly riffing. And I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it was written...

De Dee.jpg

9/28/23
View attachment 183354
Dexy’s Midnight Runners - Too Rye Ay

I had no idea what to expect from this. Obviously I've heard "Come on Eileen" before but had no idea what the rest could possibly sound like. This album is fun as hell! Might be a 4/5 for me.

I had no idea what to expect from this. Obviously I've heard "Come on Eileen" before but had no idea what the rest could possibly sound like. This album is fun as hell! Might be a 4/5 for me.

All of their first 3 albums are brilliant and fun as hell. Unfortunately this might be one of the worst pressed albums I own. Crackly as hell. From that plant in Poland that clearly doesn’t give a fuck.

All of their first 3 albums are brilliant and fun as hell. Unfortunately this might be one of the worst pressed albums I own. Crackly as hell. From that plant in Poland that clearly doesn’t give a fuck.
Did they actually have other hits? Before today I couldn't even tell you the name of the band that sang "Come On Eileen"

Did they actually have other hits? Before today I couldn't even tell you the name of the band that sang "Come On Eileen"

Yeah Geno was as big a hit in the uk. As was their cover of Jackie Wilson said. This a decent album but I’d likely grab Searching for the Young Soul Rebels off the shelf first.

Actually if we’re talking Dexy’s we need @Murfocakes input. He’s the Dexy’s and Kevin Rowland superfan around these parts.
He does have good taste.

Like I wish I’d known this earlier.

It’s like when I met my wife and we realized just how close we had been to meeting each other over time, it was like I could have had more time with you!!!

I agree that their first three albums are their essential body of work. But they reformed under the shortened name "Dexys" in 2012 and has released a string of pretty good albums since then too. And Rowlands solo cover album "My Beauty" is a strange and weird beast, but pretty damn brilliant too IMO (even if it was pretty much slammed and misunderstood by critics upon release)! So there's plenty to discover here of you're new to Rowland and Dexys!

Last edited:
Back