The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Curtis does indeed rule. And what a shit hand he was dealt...

On August 13, 1990, Mayfield became paralyzed from the neck down after stage lighting equipment fell on him while he was being introduced at an outdoor concert at Wingate Field in Flatbush, Brooklyn, New York. Afterwards, he sang the second verse of a remake of "Let's Do It Again" being produced by Gary Katz by the Repercussions for All Men Are Brothers: A Tribute To Curtis Mayfield, while lying on his back in the recording studio. Although he was unable to play the guitar, he continued to compose and sing, which he found he could do by lying down and letting gravity pull down on his chest and lungs. The 1996 album New World Order was recorded in this way, with vocals sometimes recorded in lines at a time.

Love this one. Every track is fire. Like they do with Paul’s Boutique, The Dust Brothers production raises this album to another level.

I'm probably the resident Beck fan here on the forum. My wife and I both were Beck completionists (completists?) before we ever met each other.

Odelay is his first great album, although I'll say that Guero is probably my favorite Beck album overall (and it's also produced by The Dust Brothers).

I know the Dust Brothers had a lot to do with the sound of this album but I really love this whole hipster countrified funky hip hoppy sound. In an alternative universe the Kid Rocks and the Florida Georgia lines never rose to prominence and this sound rules all the air waves.

I know the Dust Brothers had a lot to do with the sound of this album but I really love this whole hipster countrified funky hip hoppy sound. In an alternative universe the Kid Rocks and the Florida Georgia lines never rose to prominence and this sound rules all the air waves.
The early to mid 90s were great for this with Beck, Beastie Boys, Cornershop, Bran Van 3000, Cornelius, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion! etc… all kind of reside in that same place where Alternative Rock and Hip-Hop were melded together perfectly. Then folks got lazy and bands like Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth. Wheetus, New Radicals, Len all came along and added some DJ scratches like a a superfluous third nipple to songs that add nothing of note to these tracks.

There are many reason’s to hate on Hanson’s “Mmmbop” but the production isn’t one of them.

09-26-23
d256dac3a66e823efb3f6aee334605121e65ac8b

Sonic Youth - Evol

I invented that one when my shelves and shelves and shelves of Neil Young records were questioned.
yeah, good thing is she doesn't really notice when new Neil enters the house because it's playing all the time. Hell, BluOS has decided that it should just play Freedom whenever it is done playing whatever I was actually listening to.

Back