The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

9/15/2023
2e270fba66caa86720fdc1ab59fb9a7bb4717e5c

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders of Mars

9/15/2023

My Bowie Top 3 is an ever-changing roster of Ziggy / Station To Station / Scary Monsters. All very different records and their ranking changes per my mood but they're my static Top 3. If I get particularly melancholy and want to just release all that sadness, Blackstar moves up...

9/15/2023

The first Bowie album I bought was Tonight, mainly because of Blue Jean.
My brother's school library had vinyl records to lend (amazing, right?) so then I listened to The Man Who Sold The World and Ziggy.
Ziggy is the one that hooked me on Bowie. It'll forever have a place in my heart. 5 out of 5.
His run from The Man Who Sold The World to Let's Dance is unbelievable.

Last.fm says that I reach for Young Americans the most (and by a large margin), which is unsurprising. This is currently #2, I’d have to do some data cleaning to know what my top four really looks like but Station to Station and Hunky Dory would be my other picks for his best work.

Ziggy = 5/5

Definitely in my Bowie top 5, though never will top Station or Low. Often discussion of how the album would have been different if he included Velvet Goldmine or if he had finished All the Young Dudes. But I think the sequencing almost perfect. Velvet Goldmine would have added another rocker. Dudes was only there lyrically (they were delivering the news of 5 Years left and Ziggy) so that is a moot point and probably would have meant the loss of Soul Love or It Ain't Easy.

And while the album is really known for its rockers, for me the best song on the record is Rock n Roll Suicide.

9/18/23
View attachment 182612
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

Childhood gem. Perhaps not a perfect/groundbreaking record musically, as it lacks variety and uniqueness. Some of the tunes don't stand up to the singles/other album tracks.
It hits right more often than not.

Rating: 4/5 [Excellent]

9/18/23
View attachment 182612
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

This is a fantastic album to test speakers and stereo equipment.
For listening, I am giving it a 3/5. I like the promise of the album, but some of the arrangements could have been bigger... the lushness/Frisell-ness of the title track really makes it stand out.

Back