The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

08/31/23
ab67616d0000b27323cecfeecc0d5b0157f2c579

The Gun Club - Fire of Love

Man, these lyrics are a tough pill to swallow. It's like the most disturbing aspects of Glenn Danzig without his twisted sense of humour. For the Love of Ivy is just a meditation on the pure, deranged, evil darkness of man, and Ghost on the Highway is just fucking bleak, like staring into the abyss. This is giving me chills, and not in a good way. Although it still kicks ass!

So bluesy punk... I should have known it was something I like because I dig Social Distortion. This thing sounds like the Velvet Underground and the Stones decided to join up with Johansen and the Sex Pistols. Its jangly, dirty, angry, hooky and different than anything really, which is always the deal when you are like it's like (x + y)(z+a) because it's the best you can do to approximate what is going on. LOVE THIS. I imagine that like the New York Dolls this is something that will remain in rotation after today and something I will return to and seek out on vinyl.

I feel like a lot of, especially this era's, hip hop records don't age well. It's not a dated thing, it still sounds amazing. It's the content - all the homophobia and misogyny can just stay where it was. Dre's production is on another level. It's not just the g-funk either, The Day the OFFENSIVE LANGUAGEz Took Over sounds like protoRZA. That song also points to the greater nature of the album, with its political message showing why Dre needed to leave NWA just like Cube. It wasn't just about getting paid and high. It's a complicated album that reflects the complicated nature of being Black in America. It also opened a whole new level of pop success for Hip Hop. The double shot of grunge and G-Funk was the last nail in the coffin of the light hearted pop and glamorous metal of the 80s.

9/1/23
View attachment 181268

Dr. Dre - The Chronic

Kinda where G-Funk started, right? Creative for its time. Excellent production, beats, and performances from Dre.

It's fairly dated now. The misogyny and juvenility of it all is fairly ew. Dre as an MC is nothing to be astounded by.

Doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable now. It still is.

Rating: 3.5/5 [Great]

Back