The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

So Jimi Hendrix.

First of all, this is an artist I know well. Like even with the beatles I have a few things outside the canon studio albums, but I don't really have EXTRA stuff. Hendrix, on vinyl, I have live stuff, studio albums, various configurations of post humous stuff. The Beatles are my favorite band of all time. I reach for them way more often, but man I am deep on this cat too.

Anyhow, this album brought me to think of the Beatles specifically because as is known, I love Rubber Soul - it is my favorite album by them. and now I am on the record as stating that I believe Abbey Road is better, possibly the best rock album ever, actually. Anyhow, this is similar. I am more likely to reach for Axis or Cry of Love, but man I think this album is perfect and up there with Abbey Road and Dark Side definitive statements by the premiere performers in their genre.

Now I am gonna give this quite a few listens over the next few days and hopefully write about the record and why its so damn good. Scoring should be obvious a 1, oh wait, 5 stars.

Jimi was so far ahead of the rest of us. It's evident in his music. He was from another planet, another plane, another existence.

He was also so advanced musically, he could identify timeless sonic perfection in real time.

Jimi opened a show with a cover of 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' 3 days after it was released with members of The Beatles in attendance.

'Nuff said...

I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m not overly familiar with Reed’s solo stuff, I have Rock N Roll Animal and The Blue Mask on vinyl, nothing on CD. I have not spent adequate time with either. I did pull Berlin when I was doing the solo project and even though it is dark, I loved it and listened to it a bunch.

I’ve never heard this whole album, I do know Walk on the Wild Side. So let’s see what happens.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m not overly familiar with Reed’s solo stuff, I have Rock N Roll Animal and The Blue Mask on vinyl, nothing on CD. I have not spent adequate time with either. I did pull Berlin when I was doing the solo project and even though it is dark, I loved it and listened to it a bunch.

I’ve never heard this whole album, I do know Walk on the Wild Side. So let’s see what happens.
I remember hearing this album in full for the first time a couple of years ago. I had only heard Wild Side, Perfect Day and Satellite of Love. And it totally exceeded all my expectations! It’s weird, it’s beautiful and it occasionally ROCKS! 5 stars.

8/7/23
View attachment 179485
Lou Reed - Transformer

Brilliant album. All time classic. Not a bad track on it.

Love this one and for anyone after a copy the speakers corner pressing is sensational and is currently in print.

100% a 5/5

8/4/2023
d82a5f8cae828822c86944960e23a5bee8658d37

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

Great album. Hendrix at his best even though I agree with @Lee Newman that I probably grab the other two studio albums ahead of despite it being objectively better.

5/5

8/7/23
View attachment 179485
Lou Reed - Transformer

I said a few weeks ago that I could never get into the Velvet Underground. I'm enjoying this album a lot more than anything Velvet Underground that I've heard. I already knew a handful of tracks but overall it's a great, and brief, listen. 4/5.

8/2/23
ab67616d0000b273c3e9ebd5e1999ae3ab639023

Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (AKA 3 or Melt)

This is one of those artists I've always wanted to dig into their catalog and haven't come around to it yet so I'm glad it came up on the list. Seems right up my alley. I'll definitely be checking out some of his other solo albums. 4/5.

I did not know before reading the RS review that Bowie produced this which made the sound of Vicious and Hangin' Round make a lot more sense. The first half of the album sounds like T. Rex and The Velvet Underground made a record together (well besides Perfect Day where Reed does his best Sinatra by way of Cohen) and I'm here for it. Once A Walk on the Wild Side hits though, it all gets a little more interesting. That Sax and then the Tuba on Make Up. Currently on Satellite of Love.

Oh yeah, he has a really unique voice too. It isn't quite as evident in the Velvet Underground stuff probably because there is just a lot more noise. He makes interesting choices vocally.

Back