The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Abbey Road

5/5 as well. The fact that they recorded this ~6 years after their debut is mind boggling and big credit to George Martin. Bands don't show that growth in 20-30 years. Come Together used to scare me as a kid and keep me from listening to this. And the ending - Golden Slumbers --> Carry That Weight --> The End!

7/17/78
View attachment 177926
Joanna Newsom - Ys

(Not on Spotify)

Transcendental poetry. It sounds exactly like the album art. It unfolds itself onto you like a mythical fairytale. Ys possesses an expressive, classical style where segments of instrumentation express feelings complementing the lyrical narrative effectively. The strings are dizzying and lurching, harsh rather than pretty, neatly in tandem because Ys deals with emotionally heavy lyrical themes. Through five songs, this album progresses and details through the cycle of life from the prospective of a woman. (Childhood -> romantic love -> pregnancy -> motherhood -> death)
Yes, there is an acclimation period to adjusting to Joanna's vocal expressiveness. I will say that if you don't like her voice here, you won't at all like what The Milk-Eyed Mender offers.
Sometimes perfect, sometimes damn close. I prefer her follow up Have One on Me the most, though this is firmly second. One of my top50 artists all time.

Rating: 4.5/5 [Outstanding]

My wife was not feeling Newsom this morning but she said there were similarities to Bjork which I had never noticed before.

The only album I know by her reall well is Have One on Me. This is very nice and sparse, definitely a more “serious” piece of music (meaning it doesn’t cater as much to a “popular” audience.)

I like the here’s a new artist and album aspect of this project, I also like the reason to spend some more focused time with things I haven’t, like this.

4 stars

Last edited:
My wife was not feeling Newsom this morning but she said there were similarities to Bjork which I had never noticed before.

The only album I know by her reall well is Have One on Me. This is very nice and sparse, definitely a more “serious” piece of music (meaning it doesn’t cater as much to a “popular” audience.)

I like the here’s a new artist and album aspect of this project, I also like the reason to spend some more focused time with things I haven’t, like this.

4 stars
Both Milk Eyed Mender and Have One On Me are albums that I have enjoyed. In fact “Peach, Plum, Pear” is still my main ringtone (though my ringer is off like 99% of the time). Ys is okay but not something I ever seek out when I want to listen to Joanna Newsom.

I like that she is married to Andy Samberg and was the narrator in PT Anderson’s Film adaptation of Thomas Pynchon’s Inherent Vice.

Both Milk Eyed Mender and Have One On Me are albums that I have enjoyed. In fact “Peach, Plum, Pear” is still my main ringtone (though my ringer is off like 99% of the time). Ys is okay but not something I ever seek out when I want to listen to Joanna Newsom.

I like that she is married to Andy Samberg and was the narrator in PT Anderson’s Film adaptation of Thomas Pynchon’s Inherent Vice.
I can understand that. It is not an album that I think was meant to be popular or particularly easy to digest.

7/18/23
8e79e679cb589f6790373bc878a820ba65ffe835

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

Yes. 2 lps and a 7 inch on vinyl. Similar to what @Rip_City said, it don’t feel like it’s that long.

I bet you know quite a bit of it as well.
Don't underestimate my Stevie Wonder blind spot. The only song I recognize by name is "Isn't She Lovely". We'll see if I know more. Really enjoying the first couple tracks so far though!

Don't underestimate my Stevie Wonder blind spot. The only song I recognize by name is "Isn't She Lovely". We'll see if I know more. Really enjoying the first couple tracks so far though!
Thoroughly enjoyed Songs in the Key of Life. The only songs I really recognized were "Sir Duke", "Isn't She Lovely" and "Pastime Paradise" (From that Weird Al song ;)). I can certainly see why it's a classic. Will definitely listen to again. 4/5.

Back