The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

7/13/23
1689223676743-jpeg.177623

Stan Getz/Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba

Attachments

• 1689223676743.jpeg
    1689223676743.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 120
It is not my favorite Beatles record by a long shot, but I think it is a perfect album. Even Maxwell and his silver hammer. It is their masterpiece.
It’s funny how the way Beatles albums reputations have shifted just over my lifetime. They have always been a immensely popular band but I think when I was a kid through my early 20s Sgt. Pepper was seen as their magnum opus but from my 20s on it felt like all the critics got tired of fawning over Sgt. Peppers and Revolver had a bit of a moment then over the past 10 years I feel like Abbey Road has become the consensus “Best Beatles Album”. I don’t think any besides those three could be considered. The White Album is great but like most double albums it’s a bit bloated and scattershot. Rubber Soul is fantastic too but I feel like in direct comparison with Revolver will always come in second. I feel like in the next decade or so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the collective critical gaze fall back on Sgt. Pepper and it rises to the top of the pile once again.

It’s funny how the way Beatles albums reputations have shifted just over my lifetime. They have always been a immensely popular band but I think when I was a kid through my early 20s Sgt. Pepper was seen as their magnum opus but from my 20s on it felt like all the critics got tired of fawning over Sgt. Peppers and Revolver had a bit of a moment then over the past 10 years I feel like Abbey Road has become the consensus “Best Beatles Album”. I don’t think any besides those three could be considered. The White Album is great but like most double albums it’s a bit bloated and scattershot. Rubber Soul is fantastic too but I feel like in direct comparison with Revolver will always come in second. I feel like in the next decade or so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the collective critical gaze fall back on Sgt. Pepper and it rises to the top of the pile once again.
I’ve been a Rubber Soul zealot since I first heard it. (Would have been at my Uncle’s house around the time that huge 80s George album was out - Cloud Nine. I remember looking through his records and thinking the cover was cool) Given my general proclivities, I don’t think any one is surprised by me being a fan of the folk rock record (I especially prefer the American version).

Revolver is fine. I’ve gone in record that I think White is their weakest album. It has amazing highs, awful lows and just doesn’t jibe for me. Sgt Pepper is… I don’t know… different. I still remember the first time I heard it all together in High School on my first cheap ass cd player, a front loader was probably a GPX or Geand Prix but that ilk. I remember the long box. It was an experience and I can see why people revere it but I reach for it less and less over time.

It’s kind of the deal with the Beatles anyhow. Once I started to realize they’re separate personalities and explore their music - I was drawn to John by his charisma and trying to be different vibe. Then you realize that Paul was maybe a bit more of the genius than you thought he was. Then one day you hear All Things Must Pass and he takes over as your favorite. Somewhere along the way you realize that Ringonis more than just the jester but you never quite put him with the other three.

I mean unless you’re just a fucking weirdo and answer With the Beatles, I think valid arguments can be made for every album being your favorite. I think you kind of have to consider those five - Rubber through Abbey when you start to think about which one is their best. There are probably no wrong answers there.

I guess I’m just saying they are a journey and Abbey feels like the destination. I sure do like that view from the Rubber Soul overlook though.
The US Rubber Soul is Fantastic. I got rid of my US Revolver because it very similar the the UK but slightly worse. I kept my US copy even after getting the UK Mono of Rubber Soul since the US pressing has “I’ve Just Seen A Face” which is one of my all-time favorite Paul song, though I do miss “Drive My Car”.

The US Rubber Soul is Fantastic. I got rid of my US Revolver because it very similar the the UK but slightly worse. I kept my US copy even after getting the UK Mono of Rubber Soul since the US pressing has “I’ve Just Seen A Face” which is one of my all-time favorite Paul song, though I do miss “Drive My Car”.

I mean if you get the albums rather than the mix and match US comps “I’ve Just Seen A Face” is where it belongs on Help! which is another seriously great album. Always gets unfairly overlooked does that one in my opinion. Rubber Soul would be in my top 2 or 3 if it wasn’t for the bum note it ends on, the nastiness always leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Also just because I’m a White Album is the best person. It’s flaws give it character, it’s highs are the higher and for the flaws and it’s length it doesn’t feel bloated at all to me outside #9 and I’ve sort of got a bit of a sort of weird affection for how odd and wrong that is that since vinyl has made me listen to it.

Anyway Abbey Road. Side A has a bum note (sorry Paul Maxwell is just shit, the other three were right to resent the time put into it, especially George seeing what he was sat on) but Side B is just as close to a perfect side of recorded music as there is.

5/5 second favourite Beatles album.

Most of my years of listening to this album was on the CD format, so I didn't always have the side A/side B context for years. It's still kind of weird to me that 'Here Comes The Sun' starts up side B. I feel like it's such a beautiful song when it is transitioning off of the chaotic ending of 'I Want You (She's So Heavy), and 'Because' is a much better song to start the 2nd half of the album.

Most of my years of listening to this album was on the CD format, so I didn't always have the side A/side B context for years. It's still kind of weird to me that 'Here Comes The Sun' starts up side B. I feel like it's such a beautiful song when it is transitioning off of the chaotic ending of 'I Want You (She's So Heavy), and 'Because' is a much better song to start the 2nd half of the album.

Yes that always threw me when I got the vinyl. After years of the CDs I’d have always imagined side one should have ended on here comes the sun with the whole single piece as side B!

Back