The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Yeah, that’s alright. I just figured I would give it a shot some times folks have a tough time getting beyond the country label.
Yeah, the outlaw stuff or Townes and Guy are probably a better bet. It might be that I was in the South but Copperhead Road was played on the hard rock stations. This was way more country than I expected (this is not a problem for me though)

Yeah, the outlaw stuff or Townes and Guy are probably a better bet. It might be that I was in the South but Copperhead Road was played on the hard rock stations. This was way more country than I expected (this is not a problem for me though)
It was a big hit here on rock radio. Pretty much when Nashville started to move a different direction

I love Steve Earle, and this debut has some truly great songs, that show off his particular blend of country and heartland rock nicely (”Someday” is a touchstone song for me), but he has realeased at least four albums that are better than this (”Exit O”, ”Copperhead Road”, ”Trancendental Blues” and ”El Corazon” at least). Still a strong 4/5.

I own pretty much his entire studio output and seeing him live for the 10th time this coming August, so I am a bit biased. Might be why I am only giving him 3/5

He was still learning at the feet of Townes and Guy (plus many others) and had a ways to go before his own voice truly emerged. It is a good album but only hinting at his songwriting abilities that would come after prison.

I'd be curious to know your rankings of Earle's catalogue should you ever feel like adding them to the Rank The Albums thread.
I still have a few I haven't listened to but have been on quite an Earle kick of late, so I imagine I'll be able to make my own list soon.

6/28/23

View attachment 176272
Stephen Stills - Manassas

To be honest, I had pretty low expectations for my enjoyment of this one. Most other Stephen Stills-related releases I've listened to have never really clicked with me beyond being "fine." Manassas was a pleasant surprise, then. I quite enjoyed it. I was worried the length might take away from that for me but it really didn't. Very solid stuff. 4/5

I'd be curious to know your rankings of Earle's catalogue should you ever feel like adding them to the Rank The Albums thread.
I still have a few I haven't listened to but have been on quite an Earle kick of late, so I imagine I'll be able to make my own list soon.
I will give it a shot this week, at least my top 10

6/30/23
View attachment 176464

Jeff Buckley - Grace

It's enjoyable. I do love "Lilac Wine," "Hallelujah" and "Lover, You Should've Come Over" of course. Jeff's singing is lovely and enrapturing. However, I always found "Eternal Life" to be a weak penultimate track. Moreover, I am confused as to why his songwriting is praised unanimously.
Much like you @Lee Newman, never saw why this should be a classic. It'll never be a 5 in any lifetime in my eyes, but some days it's a 3.5 or so. But for now...

Rating: 3/5 [Good]

6/30/23
View attachment 176464

Jeff Buckley - Grace

I’ve always been drawn to Jeff Buckley. I remember “Last Goodbye” being deemed “Buzzworthy” on MTV and being bummed when he passed away. I never owned the CD but when I purchased a minidisc player in the late 90s it was the only official studio album I ever purchased on the minidisc format (I mostly used it to make mixes from CDs and downloaded Dave Matthews Band MP3s) I found myself listening to the album quite a bit early in the morning while delivering newspapers. The album has a dreaminess to it, lots of echoing reverb, Jeff has such an emotive voices too. The whole album is a beautiful work of art.

Also, I completely understand why a lot of folks are burned out on “Hallelujah” the song has been covered to death at this point and now some are trying to make it a Christmas song for some reason (just like I am sure Leonard Coen intended) but Jeff Buckley’s version is absolutely stunning and is the definitive version. It still gives me goosebumps.

Beautiful, tragic, poignant, influential.

I really love this album. Lyrically it hits all the right notes, musically too. Plus Jeff, what a guitar player and what a voice.

Also the depths of its influence, infamously changing Thom Yorke’s entire outlook on vocals, on modern indie music is deep and profound.

It’s probably not totally even throughout and there is always the what if factor with such a tragic artist so for me, probably a very very strong 4/5

I’ve tried to get into Grace many times over the years ever since it was released but never really got what the fuzz was all about. I can hear the talent on display but, and I’m sorry as I know many of you love this, but it just bores me.

The only exception is ”Lover, You Should’ve Come Over” which is a sublime soul ballad, that also has popped up on many playlists and mix tapes over the years. I give it 3 stars for that song alone.

Beautiful, tragic, poignant, influential.

I really love this album. Lyrically it hits all the right notes, musically too. Plus Jeff, what a guitar player and what a voice.

Also the depths of its influence, infamously changing Thom Yorke’s entire outlook on vocals, on modern indie music is deep and profound.

It’s probably not totally even throughout and there is always the what if factor with such a tragic artist so for me, probably a very very strong 4/5
Huh, I didn’t know the Yorke thing. Will have to read up on that. Knowing it now, I can hear it. Still doesn’t make his music or subject matter interesting but I can start to understand the praise.

Couple of notes about my feelings about it… it still kind of comes off like Chris Cornell singing Alanis Morissette. There’s also a cockiness that is off putting to me, like hubris exudes from the music.

Huh, I didn’t know the Yorke thing. Will have to read up on that. Knowing it now, I can hear it. Still doesn’t make his music or subject matter interesting but I can start to understand the praise.

Couple of notes about my feelings about it… it still kind of comes off like Chris Cornell singing Alanis Morissette. There’s also a cockiness that is off putting to me, like hubris exudes from the music.

Yeah! So the story goes that they were recording The Bends and he just couldn’t nail the vocals, particularly for Fake Plastic Trees.

They went to see Buckley live and it blew his mind, gave him the confidence to try to sing in falsetto. He supposedly went straight from the gig back to the studio, nailed that song in one take and then burst into tears.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Back