The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Solid album. Definitely Stills lead but you can hear Hillman’a influence bringing in that Byrds/Burrito Brothers sound. A wide swath of music with a country blues foundation.
4 stars

6/29/23
View attachment 176369

Steve Earle - Guitar Town

I'm not a big fan of country so I have to look at albums like this from a different angle. This was an acceptable listen for me. I'd personally rate it a 2/5 for my personal taste but that probably means it's a 3 or 4/5 album.

I only knew stuff that played on the Radio (Copperhead Road being the most ubiquitous). I was not prepared for the mix of straight forward country and that 80’s armericana rock (think Springsteen/Mellancamp) sound featured here. I was also unaware until a few minutes ago that this is his debut. What a way to start a career.

Last edited:
I only knew stuff that played on the Radiohead (Copperhead Road being the most ubiquitous). I was not prepared for the mix of straight forward country and that 80’s armericana rock (think Springsteen/Mellancamp) sound featured here. I was also unaware until a few minutes ago that this is his debut. What a way to start a career.

You’ve kidnapped Thom Yorke & co and had them play country music covers for you?

You monster!

I own pretty much his entire studio output and seeing him live for the 10th time this coming August, so I am a bit biased. Might be why I am only giving him 3/5

He was still learning at the feet of Townes and Guy (plus many others) and had a ways to go before his own voice truly emerged. It is a good album but only hinting at his songwriting abilities that would come after prison.

6/29/23
View attachment 176369

I have wrote about this before but 1986 was such an amazing year for the beginning of a new generation of Country artists. You had debut albums by:

Dwight Yoakam - Guitars, Cadillacs, etc., etc.
Lyle Lovett - Lyle Lovett
Randy Travis - Storms of Life

Those four artist would steer mainstream country back towards a more traditional bent for the remainder of the decade. Obviously Steve Earle would go on to be more embraced by the Alt. Country/Americana community but early on he had more in common with Springsteen than most any country artist.

Such a fantastic record but only the tip of the iceberg really on what music he would go on to create over the next 35 years.

I have wrote about this before but 1986 was such an amazing year for the beginning of a new generation of Country artists. You had debut albums by:

Dwight Yoakam - Guitars, Cadillacs, etc., etc.
Lyle Lovett - Lyle Lovett
Randy Travis - Storms of Life

Those four artist would steer mainstream country back towards a more traditional bent for the remainder of the decade. Obviously Steve Earle would go on to be more embraced by the Alt. Country/Americana community but early on he had more in common with Springsteen than most any country artist.

Such a fantastic record but only the tip of the iceberg really on what music he would go on to create over the next 35 years.
I have all of these but Steve. I have some homework.

Back