The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Never been a huge The Who-fan, but I really liked this album! I had only heard the classic singles, and I expected this to be mostly filler like most debut pop albums of this era. But songs like The Good’s Gone, A Legal Matter and It’s Not True are almost as great as the title track and The Kids are Alright. 4 stars!

Straight up British rock. Enjoyable, nothing mind blowing. My Generation does have an urgency that would not really be replicated for a few more years. Moon is the stand out here. He was fully cooked with his primal abandon even at this point. Townsend is neither the songwriter or force on guitar he would become. Daltrey eventually becomes one of the better rock singers but isn’t there yet. It’s funny, the apple blurb states the band didn’t like it much, feeling it was rushed which may be some of its charm. In reality, except for a few exceptions (Who’s Next), The Who are a band I like on paper more than I do in reality. Almost every album feels like it is lacking compared to the various compilations or their live sound which gets at that unhinged urgency of My Generation or It’s Not True. It does its job well though and they are a competent enough band.. 3 stars

Last edited:
Straight up British rock. Enjoyable, nothing mind blowing. My Generation does have an urgency that would not really be replicated for a few more years. Moon is the stand out here. He was fully cooked with his primal abandon even at this point. Townsend is neither the songwriter or force on guitar he would become. Salte y eventually becomes one of the better rock singers but isn’t there yet. It’s funny, the apple blurb states the band didn’t like it much, feeling it was rushed which may be some of its charm. In reality, except for a few exceptions (Who’s Next), The Who are a band I like on paper more than I do in reality. Almost every album feels like it is lacking compared to the various compilations or their live sound which gets at that unhinged urgency of My Generation or It’s Not True. It does its job well though and they are a competent enough band.. 3 stars

I do wonder how much better it’d have been if the contemporaneous non albums singles: I Can’t Explain, Substitute (perhaps my favourite song of theirs) and I’m A Boy had been in on there.

As someone who finds this album pretty mediocre, I can say those songs would have made it much better.

I quite like this one. I think it has a raw charm and the title track and The Kids Are Alright are classics. If you think this one is mediocre don’t listen to their second album, it’s just bad and weird, quite weird.

6/28/23

View attachment 176272
Stephen Stills - Manassas

I first heard Manassas back in the early 2000s when it was part of some internet list of under appreciated albums. It’s fantastic but I haven’t listened to it in years. I would love to pick up a copy on wax at some point.

Back