The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Yeah bar the five album burst from Beggars Banquet to Goats Head Soup that’s a fair call. You wouldn’t be missing enormous amounts just owning the two hot rocks and honk. And that’s from someone who owns almost every stones album.
I should give those proper listens. This might be the first RS album I've listened to in full. I didn't really get into the Beatles until like 5 years ago so there's still time for bands like this. This album just wasn't a good introduction. (I also don't really like Mick Jagger's voice over long periods of time)

I should give those proper listens. This might be the first RS album I've listened to in full. I didn't really get into the Beatles until like 5 years ago so there's still time for bands like this. This album just wasn't a good introduction. (I also don't really like Mick Jagger's voice over long periods of time)

For me, Exile on Main Street is the strongest. It has probably the most really strong “non single” tracks. It is long and sprawling at 18 tracks and 2LPs, but very little isn’t essential on it. It isn’t a beautiful recording, it’s raw and a bit dirty but then also, that’s the stones. Beggars Banquet is the strongest of the whole blues leaning stones stuff and has two all timer singles on it. Let it Bleed is a good one too and is a bit more varied style wise. Sticky Fingers is probably the second strongest of that run and then goats head soup is actually just a fun record with 2 or 3 stones classics on it.

For me, Exile on Main Street is the strongest. It has probably the most really strong “non single” tracks. It is long and sprawling at 18 tracks and 2LPs, but very little isn’t essential on it. It isn’t a beautiful recording, it’s raw and a bit dirty but then also, that’s the stones. Beggars Banquet is the strongest of the whole blues leaning stones stuff and has two all timer singles on it. Let it Bleed is a good one too and is a bit more varied style wise. Sticky Fingers is probably the second strongest of that run and then goats head soup is actually just a fun record with 2 or 3 stones classics on it.
I agree you for the most part. I think late 60s to early to mid 70s Stones is by far their peak and when compared with that Aftermath is a step down but when compared with their contemporaries, this record was better than most; it’s not Revolver or Pet Sounds or Blonde On Blonde buts it’s a cut above albums that The Who and The Kinks were releasing at the time.

I agree you for the most part. I think late 60s to early to mid 70s Stones is by far their peak and when compared with that Aftermath is a step down but when compared with their contemporaries, this record was better than most; it’s not Revolver or Pet Sounds or Blonde On Blonde buts it’s a cut above albums that The Who and The Kinks were releasing at the time.

I’m not sure I agree. Face to Face is a similar quality album but in Sunny Afternoon, it’s lead single, is a level above anything on this one (even Paint It Black which was tacked onto the later US reorganised release). The Who were still a bit off getting going being still a relatively new act at this point, wouldn’t argue with them.

What I’d say is that this was an evolution in their songwriting from previous efforts but that they still weren’t there by a bit, it would take another 2 years.

I’ve never really listened to early Stones before besides the hits. I have to say I find both versions more enjoyable than the likes of early Beatles. There is personality in spades. The UK version is a little long, suffers from not having paint it black but feels more like a thought out album starting in psychedelic territory and ending more traditional blues oriented. The American version is short, has Paint it Black but doesn’t really gel quite as well as an album.

I agree that their later work is better and more important but this is a solid album which is slyly altering the sound of English Pop Blues.

6/20/23
View attachment 175577
Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies

Spiritualized doesn’t make bad albums this one is one of their better ones and making it exceptionally list worthy. This one feels more like a continuation of what Pierce was doing with Spacemen 3 right before their implosion they wouldn’t really perfect their gospel space rock vibe until a couple albums later.

6/20/23
View attachment 175577

I was gifted this last SS. I'm not a fan of this band, but this is my favorite of the ones I've tried by a fair margin. It feels more hallucinatory than the others. There are some really special moments.
However, I still don't quite love it (and I don't think it'll ever "click" at this point). Were it up to me, I would not have bought it on physical myself.

Rating: 3.5/5 [Great]

I was gifted this last SS. I'm not a fan of this band, but this is my favorite of the ones I've tried by a fair margin. It feels more hallucinatory than the others. There are some really special moments.
However, I still don't quite love it (and I don't think it'll ever "click" at this point). Were it up to me, I would not have bought it on physical myself.

Rating: 3.5/5 [Great]
Have you given Spacemen 3 a shot? It probably won't do much for ya but you never know. It's certainly a much closer vibe to this than later Spiritualized albums.

Aftermath gets a 3 from me. Not one of the Stones greatest albums by some margin ( and not much really beats the run from Their Satanic Majestic Request to Goats Head Soup), but still some great singles mixed with more standard blues numbers. Still one of their first really good albums. I do get why it sometimes get’s compared to Rubber Soul as both albums are transitional albums in the bands career, but the Beatles simply had better songwriters.

I’m a big Spiritualized fan, and Lazer Guided Melodies is my favorite album of theirs (I actually think ”Ladies and Gentlemen…” is a bit overrated). This will probably get a solid 5 stars from me, and I will enjoy listening to it again today!

Have you given Spacemen 3 a shot? It probably won't do much for ya but you never know. It's certainly a much closer vibe to this than later Spiritualized albums.
I enjoy Spiritualized and Sonic Boom and all the various spin offs. But they all pale in comparison to Spacemen 3 for me. Still I think this is a great album and since I need to stare at spreadsheets all day I will stream this at work

6/20/23
View attachment 175577

Reminds me of very chilled out Madchester, Stone Roses, Primal Scream (Scottish, yes I know), Happy Mondays. Very relaxed.

Absolutely not what I was expecting at all, knowing nothing about the band.

It's all right.

VERY chilled.

This is for the morning after, isn't it?

We're all coming down and listening to this record that is going absolutely nowhere.

Eh.

2.5 / 5 stars.

Back