The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

6/8/23

View attachment 174660

Adam and the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier

I have always associated AatA with the silly dress-up seen on the front cover of this record, and that ridiculous song 'Stand And Deliver'.

However, this is as good a slice of 80s New Wave / Post-Punk you'll ever hear and takes the band out of joke territory, where I previously had them filed.

'The Human Beings' sticks out for me, really simple, repetitive hook, love it.

3 / 5 stars.

Never been a fan of Adam and the Ants, and this album did nothing to change my mind about that. Can’t put my finger on what I don’t like either, as I like plenty of other post punk/new wave stuff in this vein. 2 stars

I can’t really find anything to say about Bad Company at all. I think I recognized the first song from some movie and the rest just kinda passed along. Classic, but pretty dull, rock. 2 stars.

Adam and the Ants: I had never heard this band before besides some bands doing covers of their songs. Better than I was expecting. There's some fun new wave tracks. Nothing stood out to me as being essential and I'm not sure if I'd listen again. 2/5.

Edit: Just got to "Jolly Roger". Going to bump my rating to 2.5 because it's completely bonkers.

Last edited:
I like three Adam Ant songs and they're all from different eras. "Goody Two Shoes" is the oldest, then in the late 80's he had "Room At The Top" and then he had another hit with "Wonderful" in the mid 90's.

I've never listened to a full album of his

Not to go in too much depth about Adam and the Ants but their biggest hit was the album after this which had their only two chart toppers “Stand and Deliver” and “Prince Charming” on it. Are there really 2 Adam Ant albums on this list when one is too much?

We were just talking about this over in the Hot Takes Thread. I go back and forth with Kid A on which I prefer more but both are excellent (along with much of their discography TBH).
The great what were you listening ito in 1997 Convo. I’ve been reading along., I was still killing approximately 25% of my brain cells in those days (despite being a dad), I know there is stuff I still love to this day that I was listening to then (not this - Hail to the Thief was my Sea Change) that I still adore now but I don’t remember enough of those days. Hell I thought half of the stuff you guys have been talking about came out when I was still in college so 95 at the latest?!???!!

We were just talking about this over in the Hot Takes Thread. I go back and forth with Kid A on which I prefer more but both are excellent (along with much of their discography TBH).

For me it’s

1. This
2. In Rainbows
3/4 Kid A/The Bends (completely different and I like for different reasons but equally can’t separate)

All are 5/5 for me though.

Back