The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

5/29/23

0eac9b7d15bac9f705f89a62a5e7a52c5096e813

Air - Moon Safari

Hoooooly shit, 5/5 stars!

I remember really digging the ”Sexy Boy” video on MTV when this came out, and I loved what Air did with The Virgin Suicides soundtrack, but I don’t know if I’ve listen to the whole Moon Safari album before.
It was great though, so I’ll probably listen again! 4 stars.

5/30/23
ab67616d0000b27351c02a77d09dfcd53c8676d0

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

No great revelation here - it's exactly the same-y aggro blues rock one would expect from an AC/DC album. This is probably the first time I've listened to a whole album of AC/DC since high school. It's not terrible. I don't need to turn it off or leave the room when it comes on or anything - it just ain't my cup of pickle juice. I'm not even invested enough to speak to any difference between Bon Scott era AC/DC and Brian Johnson era. I will say, the original Australian cover was cooler than this one. 2/5

I really should check out the rest of their discography one day. I really enjoy Moon Safari and Lune and Virgin Suicides. Also Godin’s score to Fire of Love.

I think 10,000 Hz Legend is my favorite partly because it was my first Air album, and also because it features Beck and most of his backing band (including Jason Falkner and Roger Manning from Jellyfish).

My wife and I listened to Moon Safari tonight and then followed it up with our 12" singles of All I Need and Sexy Boy. We've seen them in concert twice now and they're always amazing. We were just talking tonight about how it's been 11 years since their last album.

5/30/23
ab67616d0000b27351c02a77d09dfcd53c8676d0

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Back in Black is a better album back to back, as this one has more filler, but still essential AC/DC. And Bon Scott is a better singer than Brian Jonhson. "If You Want Blood (You Got It)" is probably my all time favourite AC/DC song. The riff is like a shot of adrenaline to my spine. 4 stars!

Highway to Hell (lol at above)

I didn't really know the Bon Scott story until recently and now I find this album sadly ironic. I also find the idea that the difference between this and Back in Black is filler funny. AC/DC is nothing but lean. Which is part of their problem, they created a formula for their sound and went with it. The filler is just stuff that they didn't release as singles, because I don't think the quality of songs ever lets up on this album.

This is basically a call for help from Bon that wasn't heard. It actually fills me with a bit of dread now. Ultimately, it is fun. It is one of two for sure essential albums by the band, the other being Back in Black. Sure the fans will throw Dirty Deeds out as well and honestly, I think through Let There Be Rock they are very solid (and Powerage mostly suffers from them straying from the formula.) Anyhow, this band made these two unequivocal masterpieces.

AC/DC is an important band though. Mutt made them marketable and by extension created a world where Hair Metal ruled the airwaves, GNR dominated sales, and ultimately - when combined with the indie movement in the eighties - allowed the harder music when Punk broke to be palatable by the masses and marketed as Alternative. If this album had not been a monster followed by a behemoth none of that happens the way it did.

5/5

A band I’ve always meant to spend more time with. I’ve always had a copy of Invisible Touch (just picked up an OG the other day) and I know the Lamb Lies Down very well. HUGE fan of Gabriel’s solo stuff and a fan of Collins’ solo stuff but never dug into the rest of their catalog. I mean I’ve heard this but never gave it the time it probably deserves.

Last edited:
Back