The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

5/25/23

ab67616d0000b27385c5e6c686ced3e43bae2748

Thundercat - Drunk

I still want to like this more than I do. And really feel like I should.
I don't dislike it. I just don't love it. But I still can't fully put my finger on it, either.
It's not his voice, though I can see how most of the complaints @Joe Mac has heard have been about it.
It might be the sheer number of tracks and the shortness of many of them - but I also love short tracks in other contexts, so I don't know.
I love the sheer nerdiness of it, with its references to anime and Mortal Kombat. And I love the bass playing. I just don't love the album.

3.5/5, round down.

I still want to like this more than I do. And really feel like I should.
I don't dislike it. I just don't love it. But I still can't fully put my finger on it, either.
It's not his voice, though I can see how most of the complaints @Joe Mac has heard have been about it.
It might be the sheer number of tracks and the shortness of many of them - but I also love short tracks in other contexts, so I don't know.
I love the sheer nerdiness of it, with its references to anime and Mortal Kombat. And I love the bass playing. I just don't love the album.

3.5/5, round down.
This is how I feel. It probably didn’t help (for me anyways) that it was released as a 10” box set meaning I think I spun it once before trading it in to my local last summer.

Yeah the 10” wasn’t my biggest issue but when combined with it the box set, the minor inconveniences add up to me not spinning it very often.

Yeah. I can see that being a bit much.
It would be like pressing Short Music for Short People as a 20x7" box set. Nobody needs that in their life!

5/26/23
1fddb6c4e26d5f8e85252c9acc5d530e7821a17d

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way

This record hits the typical Jazz/Rock/Fusion notes I don't particularly like, with the noodley jazz guitar and that organ sound!

Mile's trumpet sounds huge, though, especially on the first track.

3 / 5 stars.

5/26/23
1fddb6c4e26d5f8e85252c9acc5d530e7821a17d

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way

For me truly one of the greatest pieces of music in any genre. Was my gateway drug to Miles and one that I still listen to on a regular basis. 5/5 for me without hesitation.

I know it might be sacrilege to some but I also love what Bill Laswell did with these tracks

Now I am going to put on my headphones and slip away peacefully

In a Silent Way....

My favorite not live release of the electric/fusion period. This is considered Miles' first fusion album, he had been headed that way for a minute adding electric instrumentation to Miles in the SKy and Filles de Kilimanjaro. Even further Sorcerer and Nefertiti had shown a shift from modal music to a more moody groovy music. In many ways, Nefertiti feels like Silent Way. The biggest difference not just being the augmentation of acoustic instruments but the addition of the work of Teo Macero. The music begins to be composed after the studio work is done... having many takes cut together to form a new composition different then even the free flowing takes in the studio. This would not only be a big deal in the music Miles would make for the rest of the seventies, but in music in general. It is a piece of the puzzle that became EDM and Hip Hop. @jamieanderson1968 says the Laswell work is sacrilege to some, but I think it shows that he understood what this was. Panthalassa is worth a listen and a fitting tribute to this period of not only intense experimentation in the music, but in how it was released. This is not only just a masterpiece but one that still challenges musicians today to do better. A top notch band expanding the possibilities of the music and a top notch production that expands what music actually is. This album is a vibe.

5/5

5/29/23

0eac9b7d15bac9f705f89a62a5e7a52c5096e813

Air - Moon Safari

5/5

This is one of those funny little anomalies that occur from time to time - it's an album I absolutely love and adore but I have never once owned a physical copy of it on any medium. Which sometimes leads to longer spells than usual between listens. The downside to this is only that it's kind of ridiculous I've never owned a copy. The upside to this is I feel like I get to rediscover the album once or twice a year - and every time it brings me so much joy. This album has aged well - I'm certain I enjoy it more now than I did when it came out. Lush vibes that feel sophisticated and pleasurable the whole way through. "Sexy Boy" is my jam, and would absolutely be my entrance music if I were a wrestler.

Back