The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

I mean why have it listed as the 25th anniversary edition and then not have the unplugged available? What the fuck kind of nonsense is that?

One of my favourite ever radio phone-ins was on misheard lyrics. KD Lang pretty much won with one guy who thought she was singing "Can't Stand Gravy". That's what I hear every time now. The other one I remember is UB40's "One in Ten" and somebody thought they were singing "I have a one-inch head"...

5/17/2023
K.d._lang_-_Ingenue.jpg

k.d. lang - Ingenue

In my pre-teen and adolescent surroundings, a bigger deal was definitely made about k.d. lang being a lesbian than an amazing singer. I definitely heard "Constant Craving" and probably a few other songs, country or otherwise, but it wasn't until my late twenties/early thirties that I actively listened with any appreciation. A shame it took so long, but I'm glad I got there because she's incredible. I think @Lee Newman has once again done a fantastic job in his notes on this album above. And as @imtheocean said, it was a lovely way to start the day. 5/5

...I'm also gonna need to listen to Hymns of the 49th Parallel before the day is out as a result of this.

I can't believe I'm not familiar with that song. What type of radio stations would it have been played on?
I would have been 12 at the time, so I'm guessing I would have seen / heard it most on Top of the Pops here in the UK, so that means BBC Radio 1 as well. I imagine it would have been on all the commercial radio stations at the time too.

Every Adult Contemporary radio station. Early 90s VH1.
92 I was probably moving more towards alternative radio stations but I'm sure my parents would have had adult contemporary on in the car because I remember a lot of Richard Marx. Definitely would have been watching MTV and VH1 at the time. Weird it's a blind spot for me.

92 I was probably moving more towards alternative radio stations but I'm sure my parents would have had adult contemporary on in the car because I remember a lot of Richard Marx. Definitely would have been watching MTV and VH1 at the time. Weird it's a blind spot for me.
Yeah, it was in there. Probably sandwiched between Annie Lennox “Walking On Broken Glass” and Duran Duran’s “Ordinary World”.

Ha! Oddly enough "Ordinary World" is the song that instantly triggers memories of listen to that kind of music in the car with my parents.
Yeah, that was a staple. The big AC radio station in Central IL was 101.5 WBNQ. They shifted more to top 40 by the end of the 90s but early to mid 90s they were hardcore AC. They would only play the version of TLC’s “Waterfalls” that edited out Left Eye’s rap section.

Yeah, that was a staple. The big AC radio station in Central IL was 101.5 WBNQ. They shifted more to top 40 by the end of the 90s but early to mid 90s they were hardcore AC. They would only play the version of TLC’s “Waterfalls” that edited out Left Eye’s rap section.
I also associate U2 "Mysterious Ways" with AC radio. Even though Achtung Baby is my favorite album that might explain why it's my least favorite song on there and seem kind of out of place for me.

5/18/23

ParliamentMothershipConnection.jpg

Parliament - Mothership Connection

This is peak George Clinton to me. While One Nation is Under a Groove is great, it isn’t quite the sound I associate with Clinton. Aqua Boogie is my other fave and the far out sound I associate with Parliament. This album is more of a direct lineage from James Brown’s funk but is reaching for that spaced out sound. What really struck me today is how clean the production is… I’ve always thought of Clinton’s sound as cacophonous but this album has presence of stage depth and the instruments are distinct and separate. There is a cacophony but if you listen clearly you can hear everything. And it grooves!

5 stars

Back