The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

IMG_6695.jpeg
This has been sitting on deck since Monday and the first chance I have had to sit at the table with it. I just posted this over in the now spinning thread:
This is a top ten all time album for me. It’s still breathtaking and emotionally raw in its delivery and in the way it moves me. It’s always an intense undertaking and always worth it. I don’t listen to it as often as I did when it came out (and the decade that followed its release) but that is because I am in a different place not because it is any less worthy of time or attention.
Listening to PiL just now and thinking about its parallels to Joy Division with this sitting in the to be spun pile made me think about the parallels here. I wonder how much PiL and Joy Division wanted to sound like this.

The senns are not keeping up with this. Might finally give the b&ws some time with vinyl when I flip sides.

edit: yes the b&ws are doing a perfect job, the precision is very much needed.

Last edited:
3/27/24
View attachment 198775
Public Image Ltd - Metal Box

I'm still very mixed on this one. I like the music and the style but I've never liked John Lydon's voice. Some songs on this album it works, some songs I just can't take it. I like this better than the other PIL album we had. I think I'll just go down the middle and give it a 3.

I'm still very mixed on this one. I like the music and the style but I've never liked John Lydon's voice. Some songs on this album it works, some songs I just can't take it. I like this better than the other PIL album we had. I think I'll just go down the middle and give it a 3.
Getting past Johnny’s voice can be tough. I have listened to this album for so long, it tends to drift into the background. For me the bass and guitar are very upfront.

Getting past Johnny’s voice can be tough. I have listened to this album for so long, it tends to drift into the background. For me the bass and guitar are very upfront.
I tend to like the songs where his voice is just an instrument in the background more. Like "Albatross" and "Bad Baby". The songs like "Memories" where at times it comes more to the front are a little less enjoyable for me.

Back