The NBA Thread

Some people don't actually like basketball they like thinking up fanfic to argue about online
Hope the forum NBA team are doing well.

Nuggets signing DeAndre Jordan is a psyop by the front office to goose Jokic's On/Offs for another MVP campaign despite not really competing.

Alright going back on my social media break. See ya soon!

Wonder where a Nuggets fan learned to take a snarky approach to posting about the Sixers on here.

Last edited:
As to sincere basketball takes as we approach the all-star break:

1) OKC is scary, SGA is my MVP pick atm but history says they are going to need to take some playoff bumps before they are real contenders.
2) I like the Wolves as a regular season team. Not because I think Gobert's time with the Jazz is indicative of how things will go, but because I don't trust Towns mental toughness and because they really need a reliable backup PG and / or 3rd scorer. Conley is one of my favorite NBA players- deeply underrated career, but he is in the twighlight of his career and they are too often a mess without him.
3) The Clippers are probably the Nuggets biggest threat in the West. Harden is incredible as a #3 and gives them the playmaker they've always needed. And Lue is amongst the best in the business. But their lack of size is still a problem. I watched their game against the Cavs last night and it was an issue against them. The same will be true against Jokic.
4) I don't trust Boston because they struggle to create good shots in the clutch. And that was true when they had better coaches than the guy currently in charge.
5) Dame looked on his way to washed last night. Gordon + KCP were really able to slow him down last night. They badly need an upgrade to their perimeter defense too. On the bright side, Middleton looked good.
6) Payton Watson is looking very capable of stepping in and being the Swiss army knife defender that Bruce Brown was for us but there are still serious concerns with the bench. Christian Braun has regressed in his sophomore season and has exactly one move (that there is plenty of tape on) on offense. He also passes up open 3's and dribbles into traffic way, way too often. Meanwhile, RJ has been better than anyone expected but him and Murray are very redundant together.
7) The Sixers are the toughest matchup for Denver. Not just because Embid is unstoppable but because, while Jamal is deeply underrated as a defender, Maxey is exactly the type of PG he has always struggled to guard. Plus their bench is deep and diverse in its talent. The question is whether they can get out of the East... and truly, whether Embid has some undisclosed issues with playing at altitude.
8) Not worried about the Lakers even with the league reffing the game to their advantage every night.
9) Looking forward to watching the Pacers in the playoffs. Hali is so much fun and while I worry about how much they gave up for a player hovering around 30, Pascal is a great fit in the short term.
10) The Blazers deeply fucked up taking an undersized PG who struggles to shoot and doesn't have the Westbrook, Wall level of athleticism to compensate. The Hornets, shockingly, made the right move taking Miller.
11) The Knicks look great but I don't trust playoff Randle and think they are one FA signing / upgrade from being real contenders. But now that they are competently run, they should have players lining up to play for them.

Also-- parity in the NBA is in a better place than the NFL. What are we at, 5 years of different champions in a row?

Last edited:
Not that many good players moved at the deadline. Disappointing! Not sure what the hawks and bulls are doing!

Does TOR have a mandate to make the play in? Why trade a 1st for a mid center you have to pay in the off-season again?

I like the NYK moves essentially for the cost and the status of OG and Randle but people are talking about it like they got the good Bogi. I don't think current Bojan can play real playoff minutes.

I like my sixers trading for hield because they desperately need a relocation shooter if embiid is going to be healthy but don't think it moves the needle ultimately.

Not that many good players moved at the deadline. Disappointing! Not sure what the hawks and bulls are doing!

Does TOR have a mandate to make the play in? Why trade a 1st for a mid center you have to pay in the off-season again?

I like the NYK moves essentially for the cost and the status of OG and Randle but people are talking about it like they got the good Bogi. I don't think current Bojan can play real playoff minutes.

I like my sixers trading for hield because they desperately need a relocation shooter if embiid is going to be healthy but don't think it moves the needle ultimately.
I was hoping you guys woulda taken Drummond off The Bulls roster to fill in while Embiid healed up but apparently the Bulls would rather lose in the playin tourney than actually tear down our current roster.

I was hoping you guys woulda taken Drummond off The Bulls roster to fill in while Embiid healed up but apparently the Bulls would rather lose in the playin tourney than actually tear down our current roster.
Didn't mention them having a play in mandate because it's assumed from people I trust to be fact.

But not landing Drummond and Biyombo signing with OKC definitely puts the sixers in a bind trying to stay on the top 6 for sure.

Mostly disappointed in the bulls not learning the lessons from the past few deadlines with Caruso which will only be exacerbated with the new CBA. Could have gotten at least one real and one fake 1st this year while he's on contract. Will be caught holding the bag for multiple seconds next year when teams realize they will have to pay him.

If Brown didn't do well tonight there is no chance any established star does the dunk contest again
Yeah, I understand why they were pushing him but everyone booing the judges for every overly high score they gave him was kind of awkward too.

I feel like they should change the judging too. They always go too high for mediocre dunks early and then have no where to go when a legit killer dunk occurs.

They should wait until each round is over and then rank all the participants from 1 to 4, the two with the highest ranking move on to the final round.

If anyone is interested:

As a lifelong Celtics fan, this team is making me crazy. They blow more 20+ pt leads than any other team I have ever witnessed. It’s built into their fabric and makes me feel like the energy spent rooting for them is a waste. No team that blows leads like that is winning anything. Just brutal.

PS- Someone please teach Joe how to call a timeout when his lead shrinks from 27 to 9, for the love of god.

As a lifelong Celtics fan, this team is making me crazy. They blow more 20+ pt leads than any other team I have ever witnessed. It’s built into their fabric and makes me feel like the energy spent rooting for them is a waste. No team that blows leads like that is winning anything. Just brutal.

PS- Someone please teach Joe how to call a timeout when his lead shrinks from 27 to 9, for the love of god.
It probably just seems that way because they get more 20+ pt leads than any team you've witnessed. They're on pace for the 3rd best net rating ever behind the 95-96 and 96-97 Bulls.

Back