The Emotional Music Experience Thread

Taevis

A truly special song is one that hits you right in your emotions. I’m just curious - what songs have made y’all cry or have had an emotional impact on you in any way?

New Grass by Talk Talk made me cry. I think a good amount about death sometimes and I have trouble coming to terms with it, even though I don’t need to worry about it for a while. New Grass’s placement in the album and the context of the story had a really special impact on me. It was beautiful.

The entire album of A Crow Looked at Me by Mount Eerie also made me cry but that’s for obvious reasons.

One time last year, I was driving home from McDonalds and it was a perfect late Summer day, and High to Death by Car Seat Headrest started playing. It put me in a state of pure peace like everything was right in the world. I haven’t been able to recreate that feeling since.

Wilco's "Radio Cure" back when the album came out. The line "Oh distance has no way of making love understandable" just wrecked me at a time in my life where I was very lonely and isolated. The way Jeff Tweedy's voice catches as he sings it, and how quiet the song is building up to that point, it all just added to making it the perfect catharsis bomb for me at that time.

The first Julia Holter song I ever listened to. I was working a shitty job on swing shift back years ago, and this came on my Spotify recommended out of the blue. Biking home around midnight, I found comfort in the atmophere of the strings and airy brass section, with Julia's gentle voice weaving in and out of the mix. I had to stop pedaling about 3 minutes into the track and listen to the rest while stationary...my eyes were welling from the musical nirvana I was experiencing. Perhaps her music came to me at the right time of my life, but it felt so serene combined with the night sky, quiet surroundings, and dimly lit streetlights guiding me home.

I didn't realize it at the time, but the song is actually a cover of a Barbara Lewis track, which projects a much more happy-go-lucky ambiance.

Back