Test/Reference Tracks

displayname

Let's share and discuss reference and test tracks! I'm looking to possibly mix some up with new speaker cables coming in, so I'm open to suggestions. Since we're a vinyl focused forum, specific pressings are also obviously welcome, but honestly when it comes to testing things past the vinyl chain I will often use digital as well purely for the speed and ease of use factor.

Anyway, here are some of my past selections. I can add more details about what I'm listening for with each if anyone wants to hear it.

Vinyl:
Gorillaz “Demon Days” – Side C, All Alone, VMP Pressing
Fiona Apple “Tidal” – Side B, VMP Pressing
Black Sabbath “Paranoid” – Side A, VMP Pressing
Louis Armstrong “Satchmo Plays King Oliver” - Side A, St. James Infirmary, Analog Productions Pressing
Daft Punk "Tron: Legacy" - Side A, Track 1
I've considered adding M83 "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming" to this list, but I need to get more familiar with it. And I'm not sure if it brings any factor's/styles to the table that aren't covered above. Also have considered adding Nirvana "Lake of Fire" from the Unplugged album as well.

Streaming:
Penatonix "Hallelujah"
Billie Ellish "&burn" - really all of her production value is insane, but this track can be draw out massive differences in a system.
gnash/Oliva O'Brien "i hate you, i love you"
Katy Perry "I Kissed a Girl" - MTV Unplugged (It's not what you're thinking, super jazzy, and pretty well recorded. It makes people laugh once they realize it.)
London Grammar "Hey Now"
Portugal. The Man "Feel it Still" (The vinyl pressing didn't do this justice)

CDs:
Tool - "Forty Six & 2" and "Schism" are my personal favorites

Last edited:
Great thread idea. I'm gonna check out all your streaming tracks for sure. I need to think on this one a bit more, but for now, an album (vinyl) that I use for this purpose is Loma (s/t) Its got a lot of dynamic range, and it's been mixed to really place sounds/instruments in very specific places. There's clearly been a lot of thought put into the production. It's not twitchy or bass heavy, nor is it clean/smooth sounding like Random Access Memories. It's more of an open, airy presentation that I think improves as your gear does, so for that reason it's a go to reference recording for me. I totally agree with your Demon Days side C recommendation. Also, in the vein of the Fiona mention, the VMP Feist - Let it Die has a lot of delicate features that can be missed in a lesser system. When I upgraded to the Pangea power cable for my Vincent PHO-8 phonostage and played that record, I finally heard small hand claps, instead of little tick sounds on one of the songs. I always thought it was dust on the record.

Last edited:
I remember going to best buy when my dad wanted to buy some speakers. They would play the song "Vultures" by John Mayer every time. This thread just reminded me of that.

I like testing speakers with the song Machu Picchu by the Strokes. Songs gnarly.

I remember going to best buy when my dad wanted to buy some speakers. They would play the song "Vultures" by John Mayer every time. This thread just reminded me of that.

I like testing speakers with the song Machu Picchu by the Strokes. Songs gnarly.
John Mayer was used in more than one system when I went to Lone Star Audio Fest. I never really considered diving into his music, but maybe it's worth a shot.

Heard Ron (New Record Day) talk about Yosi Horikawa on his latest YouTube video, and I am trying out the two tracks he mentioned, "Bubbles" and "Bump." These songs are insane! I want to try these out on some serious systems for a better frame of reference, but what they do on my system is impressive.

Last edited:
Back