Technics 1200 / Upgrade Cables?

MikeyPD

Testing, 123. Is this thing on? First time posting a hardware question here 😊.

I have a Technics 1200. Ortofon 2M Blue and Cambridge CP1 phono stage. Sounds great!

The RCA cables coming out of my turntable are the stock ones (I believe). Although, they do seem like some pretty narrow cables. I’ve noticed that higher end cables are thicker and shielded etc.

I am debating upgrading these to a more premium cable to see if it improves anything. I know a guy locally who installs this type of thing and sells good cables. He knows his stuff.

I am curious if you all think I would notice any (even subtle) enhancement in detail by doing this. Keep in mind the gear I am using.

Thanks!

I'll throw out another option.

Your turntable has captive cables. What if you upgrade to different cables and don't like them? You'll have to get it done again.

The SL-1200 arm is wired to a printed circuit board. The RCA cables and ground wire are wired to the same board.

I'm suggesting you have RCA jacks and a ground post installed in place of the captive cables. This gives you much more flexibility.

If you are going to stick with captive cables, I'd go with Blue Jeans LC-1 which are low capacitance.

If you have the jacks installed instead, I'd try the new Pangea phono cables. If you don't like them, you get a money back guarantee from Audio Advisor. Of course, if you have the ends cut off if one end and have them soldered in place, you can't return them.

I'll throw out another option.

Your turntable has captive cables. What if you upgrade to different cables and don't like them? You'll have to get it done again.

The SL-1200 arm is wired to a printed circuit board. The RCA cables and ground wire are wired to the same board.

I'm suggesting you have RCA jacks and a ground post installed in place of the captive cables. This gives you much more flexibility.

If you are going to stick with captive cables, I'd go with Blue Jeans LC-1 which are low capacitance.

If you have the jacks installed instead, I'd try the new Pangea phono cables. If you don't like them, you get a money back guarantee from Audio Advisor. Of course, if you have the ends cut off if one end and have them soldered in place, you can't return them.

This is really great advice! I’ll ask the installer if he can do this. I saw people on YouTube talking about this. Makes sense.

At the moment I can’t afford Blue Jeans. That’s a goal for a few months away. Temporary I got some shielded cables to go from my phone stage to my preamp and then another set from my preamp to my powered speakers.

I’m astounded at the difference in quality. I didn’t realize until I climbed back there but the unbalanced (RCA) cables I was using were like the kind that came free with a VCR. Super thin and cheap. I can’t believe how bad they were.

Thanks for the advice! When I get the Blue Jeans cables a little down the road I’ll use the ones I just bought with my system at work.

Not sure what your speaker set up is too, but I recently upgrade my speaker cables as well to Zu Audio Libtec cables based on recommendations from some users on here and they made for a really nice upgrade. Zu has an ebay store where they just continuously post Libtec cables and most sell for under $100 (I snagged mine for around $50 plus shipping for a pair). It was worth every penny.

I would suggest you research cable types and confirmed quality upgrades before you purchase. A lot of companies have made a fortune off of overpriced cables with all sorts of technology that have consistently failed blind real word tests.

Don't want to insult anyone's beliefs, however this debate has raged on since the first upgraded cable was sold.

I would ask, why would every manufacturer use tiny 24ga or higher wire throughout their components, but you need to connect everything up with 10ga, carbon fiber, oxygen free, unicorn wire to get good sound? (And yes i get speaker runs need to be sized for distance)

Please don't flame me, just showing the other side. The suggestion to add jacks to your setup is right on.

I would suggest you research cable types and confirmed quality upgrades before you purchase. A lot of companies have made a fortune off of overpriced cables with all sorts of technology that have consistently failed blind real word tests.

Don't want to insult anyone's beliefs, however this debate has raged on since the first upgraded cable was sold.

I would ask, why would every manufacturer use tiny 24ga or higher wire throughout their components, but you need to connect everything up with 10ga, carbon fiber, oxygen free, unicorn wire to get good sound? (And yes i get speaker runs need to be sized for distance)

Please don't flame me, just showing the other side. The suggestion to add jacks to your setup is right on.

Low capacitance and excellent sheilding are important, especially between the turntable and phono stage or amp. Blue Jeans LC1 or the Pangea phono cable are both reasonably priced options.

Cables can make a difference, but I'd not spend big money on them.

At the moment I can’t afford Blue Jeans. That’s a goal for a few months away. Temporary I got some shielded cables to go from my phone stage to my preamp and then another set from my preamp to my powered speakers.

I’m astounded at the difference in quality. I didn’t realize until I climbed back there but the unbalanced (RCA) cables I was using were like the kind that came free with a VCR. Super thin and cheap. I can’t believe how bad they were.

Thanks for the advice! When I get the Blue Jeans cables a little down the road I’ll use the ones I just bought with my system at work.
Do you need any specific length, or are you just looking for some cables to go from TT to preamp and preamp to amp? Asking because I'm looking at a stack of BJC cables in my living room right now.

Do you need any specific length, or are you just looking for some cables to go from TT to preamp and preamp to amp? Asking because I'm looking at a stack of BJC cables in my living room right now.
Well now, I could use some more sets for some planned additions to the hifi. Shoot me a DM and I just might take them off your hands.

I am so sorry I didn't see your reply, @displayname! Not really a specific length. Just a short set to go from one component to another. Should I DM you?

Back