Speed, Wow and Flutter

Angsty

I thought I’d try out the RPM app on my iPhone to test my VPI Traveler turntable and what I found was concerning:
A925F1EE-D2E7-40FD-8EA4-DFC78DD018BB.png

The table appears to be almost 1% fast at 0.80%. The spec is +/- 0.1%. The wow and flutter is 0.20% which is right about at spec at <0.2%. Different runs have been consistent in showing a higher than spec speed and w/f at or below spec.

I’ve always heard that the Traveler runs fast, but I didn’t expect this much variance from spec. Anyone else find that app-measured platter speed (on any turntable) varies this much from spec? Should this be a point of genuine concern?

I really like the fit, finish and functional aspects of the Traveler but this is an area of performance that I’m uncertain about.

Last edited:
I thought I’d try out the RPM app on my iPhone to test my VPI Traveler turntable and what I found was concerning:
View attachment 120739

The table appears to be almost 1% fast at 0.80%. The spec is +/- 0.1%. The wow and flutter is 0.20% which is right about at spec at <0.2%. Different runs have been consistent in showing a higher than spec speed and w/f at or below spec.

I’ve always heard that the Traveler runs fast, but I didn’t expect this much variance from spec. Anyone else find that app-measured platter speed (on any turntable) varies this much from spec? Should this be a point of genuine concern?

I really like the fit, finish and functional aspects of the Traveler but this is an area of performance that I’m uncertain about.
I guess the answer is no, but can you adjust the speed on the traveler?
Though I wouldn't be too concerned about a 0.8% increase, I'm not sure you would hear the difference? It sure is off the specs provided by vpi, but I don't know how accurate phone apps can be. A stroboscope would be needed I think for accurate measurements.

Back