Running-in new speakers?

Turbo

Do you guys run-in new speakers? Or do you just slowly break them in by normal use? I ran-in my Mordaunt-Shorts when I first got them over 10 years ago. I guess it might have helped speed the breaking in process a little but it's hard to say if it wasn't in my mind.

Do you guys run-in new speakers? Or do you just slowly break them in by normal use? I ran-in my Mordaunt-Shorts when I first got them over 10 years ago. I guess it might have helped speed the breaking in process a little but it's hard to say if it wasn't in my mind.

Yeah unless they sound dreadful out of the box normal use. I kinda like hearing them change! I am one of the heavier users though.

I'm impatient so I would let anything new or modded run in.

I have this XLO burn in cd, but I think using some sort of reference music should be fine.

Normal use also. I know once properly burned in I’ll have to go back and enjoy some of my fav albums.

So I've had my new Wharfedales play for about 5 hrs now. I'm already starting to hear a change. At first, the mids felt a tiring to listen to. This seems to have loosened up a bit. The bass seems to be a liitle less muddy as well. Still some work to go, but I'm starting to really enjoy them.

Another observation:

-My Mordaunt-Shorts were no slouches! The Wharfedales are unquestionably an improvement - and they will continue to improve - I'm hoping the soundstage, in particular expands a bit. But the basslines are so lush. However, those Carnival 2's definitely punched well above their weight. I think I'm keeping the Mordaunt-Shorts for when I set-up a second listening space. Or for my daughter if we ever follow-through with her request to have her own set-up. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get that type of quality for less than the $400 I paid in 2009 for them.

Which Wharfes did you get again Turbo ? I have found running bass heavy music from a digital source helps breakin the woofers a bit quicker.

Which Wharfes did you get again Turbo ? I have found running bass heavy music from a digital source helps breakin the woofers a bit quicker.
I got the Denton 85’s. I’ve been doing exactly that to some extent. Played some Weeknd yesterday and Daft Punk this morning while I was away. Kicking myself right now because I forgot to put something on before heading out.

I got the Denton 85’s. I’ve been doing exactly that to some extent. Played some Weeknd yesterday and Daft Punk this morning while I was away. Kicking myself right now because I forgot to put something on before heading out.
I used Trentmoller The Last Resort, Telefon Tel Aviv Remixes Compiled, and Rober Babicz Immortal Changes, when I demo'ed the Linton's last time.

In the domestic world I buy everything used so "run in " is not a consideration but in the pro world both new subs and recconed drivers would get run in before going out into the world. Simple procedure, a 5 hz tone at high power (were talking about 1000 watts per driver) for one hour driving the speakers to full excusrion. This would both excercise the suspension and identify any problems or marginal drivers. (A live show in front of an audience of thousands of ppl is not the time to discover a driver issue...)

Our EAW subs used this as the oem driver 18" Driver

Pat

Coming back in to say I'm super happy with the Wharfedale Denton 85's! A little under three weeks in now, about 40 hours of breaking in time and they sound really great. The mids have really started to pop. The biggest difference with my old Mordaunt Shorts so far is at the low end. The bass is much more lush and rich on these. I'm also really pleased that these don't reveal pressing flaws and background noise any more than the Mordaunt Shorts did - in fact they may mask them a bit more (maybe because the lows are more prominent and pops and ticks would be at the high end?). All I know is that my Shibata diamond is not usually very forgiving of pressing issues. Anyway, really happy these speakers integrated into my system so seamlessly.

Back