Record stores

bnut

I figure now is as good a time as any to start a new topic.

Sometimes I am fortunate enough to travel for work. Sometimes I travel to a show in a different metro. Sometimes I'm vacationing with the fam. Whenever I'm in a new place, I look for record stores to visit. I'm sure you do to!

Here in my hometown, Milwaukee, I find a lot of good things at The Exclusive Company. I can be sure to always find an interesting bootleg at Rush-Mor. I was in Austin recently and discovered End of an Ear. I'll be in Ireland later this year and can't wait to go crate-digging.

What are the cool record stores where you live or shop?

Chicago has a ton of great stores:
three Reckless locations
Dusty Groove
Laurie's Planet of Sound
Groovin' High (my favorite)
Bric-A-Brac
Bucket of Blood
Dave's

Probably more I'm forgetting, but those are usually my circuit...

Durham NC

My shop of choice is Bull City.

My if I win the lottery digging fun place is Carolina Soul

Singapore reppin' here! For a country 15 hours away from US/Europe, we have an incredibly vibrant and healthy vinyl scene, with competitive prices (although steep at times) and diversity for most sorts of collectors.

The Analog Vault
Hear Records
Mosta Records
Retrocrates
Red Point Record Warehouse
Vinylicious Records
Surface Noise
New Disc Village
Roxy Records
Vinyl Kakis
Curated Records
and more, but these are what I'd recommend to most people.

Berwick Street in London has a few great ones:

Sounds of the universe
Sister Ray
Reckless Records

Reckless might be my favourite place on earth.

Honestly was disappointed by Reckless and Sister Ray there, but SotU has got to be one of my favourite record stores to visit when I'm there! Everything about that store appeals to me, Phonica too. I was pretty surprised by how well-curated Rough Trade is, and Sister Ray in Shoreditch had more for what I was looking for.

Washington, DC isn't the best place to be for collecting vinyl, but Crooked Beat Records, which moved a few years ago just across the river in Alexandria, VA, seems like your best bet in the area. Largest selection of new vinyl and one of the few stores in the area to carry used vinyl as well. The owner is there all the time and he and the staff are super friendly - seems like a good amount of regulars coming in there, but they treat everyone the same and won't make you feel stupid for not knowing which sleeves hanging behind the counter are the inners and which are the outers. Just experienced my first RSD ever last month, and I was glad I waited in line there first before checking out 3 other stores that day which all were a little fancier but had much, much smaller inventory - several people waiting in line around me had driven several hours to be there and seemed to have really good history with the staff. A great variety of used records from estate sales around the region end up in that store, too.

OMG I have been desperate for a thread like this - I like doing some digging wherever I go. Adds a nice backstory/memory when you pull the vinyl out to play too...
Singapore reppin' here! For a country 15 hours away from US/Europe, we have an incredibly vibrant and healthy vinyl scene, with competitive prices (although steep at times) and diversity for most sorts of collectors.

The Analog Vault
Hear Records
Mosta Records
Retrocrates
Red Point Record Warehouse
Vinylicious Records
Surface Noise
New Disc Village
Roxy Records
Vinyl Kakis
Curated Records
and more, but these are what I'd recommend to most people.

Thanks @lazylistener - planning on going to Singapore later this year so will definitely check some of these out.

Anyone here from NYC/Brooklyn/Seattle who can give me a heads up when I head over for work late June??

Back