Record Doctor V issues

Angsty

I've been using a Record Doctor V RCM for about 3 years with few issues; it does a better job cleaning than most other manual methods like the Spin Clean. However, something is rattling in the Record Doctor now. I remember from a while ago that there is a vertical PVC fluid collector pipe in it and I think that may be loose.

I could not find a previously viewed set of teardown photos for it and there are no visible screws to allow for easy disassembly. Has anyone opened their Record Doctor to make a fix, and if so, how did that work out?

Just after posting, I remembered where I saw the tear-down photos. It was in an Amazon review. Does not look promising, but at least found out how to remove the bottom cover through the screws in the feet.

It looks like it will be a few hours-long project to really work on this; this will have to wait for a later date but a loose PVC tube is a reason to not use the machine until that is fixed. :(

Amazon product ASIN B00BEIC3DO
The Record Doctor was a gift but if I had spend my own cash, I'd probably spring for the Pro-Ject VC-E instead. Currently, the Record Doctor is what it is. Now that I have a HumminGuru, I have reason to question if I need a vacuum RCM at all only to use on thrift-store finds.

I have a RDV that had rattling after 5 years of use. I popped it right open (extremely easy), turned out it was piece of that deluxe automotive putty they used to construct this. Yes it’s pretty much a piece of crap but that Amazon reviewer’s unit must have been overused because mine did not look anywhere near that bad.

I’m honestly skeptical that vac RCMs are really that different in result so I have personally hesitated on getting a new one.

How do you like the HG vs the RDV?

Just after posting, I remembered where I saw the tear-down photos. It was in an Amazon review. Does not look promising, but at least found out how to remove the bottom cover through the screws in the feet.

It looks like it will be a few hours-long project to really work on this; this will have to wait for a later date but a loose PVC tube is a reason to not use the machine until that is fixed. :(

Amazon product ASIN B00BEIC3DO
The Record Doctor was a gift but if I had spend my own cash, I'd probably spring for the Pro-Ject VC-E instead. Currently, the Record Doctor is what it is. Now that I have a HumminGuru, I have reason to question if I need a vacuum RCM at all only to use on thrift-store finds.

Honestly with thrift finds the HG is enough for me, it just needs a few extra cleaning cycles before the auto one. It’s one of those that if I already had a vac one I’d totally use both but not having one I don’t feel I’m missing out at all really, never mind to the point that I’d actively seek out one in addition to the HG.

Honestly with thrift finds the HG is enough for me, it just needs a few extra cleaning cycles before the auto one. It’s one of those that if I already had a vac one I’d totally use both but not having one I don’t feel I’m missing out at all really, never mind to the point that I’d actively seek out one in addition to the HG.
Same. Since I got the HG, I've used the RDV only a few times, and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm strongly considering selling the RDV.

I have a RDV that had rattling after 5 years of use. I popped it right open (extremely easy), turned out it was piece of that deluxe automotive putty they used to construct this. Yes it’s pretty much a piece of crap but that Amazon reviewer’s unit must have been overused because mine did not look anywhere near that bad.

I’m honestly skeptical that vac RCMs are really that different in result so I have personally hesitated on getting a new one.

How do you like the HG vs the RDV?
Not convinced yet on ditching the RDV. I’m still not getting the same level of cleaning with the ‘guru alone after multiple passes that I get with one RDV pass and one ultrasonic pass. It’s possible that I’ll get to that conclusion faster now that the RDV needs work!

I opened my RDV and was pleasantly surprised that nothing awful was going on in it. It has two PVC tubes, one going down from the lips and a second larger diameter tube which collects fluid. The small one had become detached and was rattling around in the larger one. All that will be needed is to glue back the small tube. No mold or anything in the housing, only some residue from record cleaning in the large collector tube.

The small tube appears to be filled with mineral wool, which was a surprise when I opened the unit. Probably to reduce noise and even out air flow from the lips.

Back