Real talk: Collecting Records

scotthilk

Hey all,

I have been collecting records for roughly 5 years. It has been an amazing, and expensive journey. I have a few questions for fellow collectors that I'd like to get answered, if you have the time.

1) How do you decide what records you will buy? Do you buy anything you like? Or, are there other specific criteria? In the age of Apple Music and Spotify, nearly all music sits at our cellular fingertips. So, how do you decide what you will actually purchase, house, and own?

2) How much time do you spend streaming music (Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, JQBX, whatever) vs. spinning records?

3) Aside for financial reasons, when do you decide to sell a record (if at all)?

4) Thoughts on colored vinyl? Prefer black? Depends? Depends on what?!

5) Any other information on your specific collecting ideas, rituals, nuances, or anything. I am genuinely interested in the processes at play here.

TGIF!

1) I wish I could pretend I had a hard and fast code, but looking at my collection it seems to mostly come down to the following, individually or in combination: I bought it at a show because I liked/wanted to support the artist; I love the album and it was important to me at some point; I like the album but think it would be fun to listen to on a big stereo; VMP sent it to me; I was experimenting; it was a classic I always meant to listen to but never did; PIF; Polyvinyl was selling mystery bundles.

2) More time streaming. I generally spin as an evening activity.

3) If I don't like it as much as I expected; if I do like it but think someone else might enjoy it more; if I'm trying to clear space for shinies.

4) I find black vinyl tends to sound better, but colored vinyl is awfully pretty. As long as it's quiet, I really don't care.

5) No special ideas when it comes to collecting or listening. I like drinking whiskey?

Hey all,

I have been collecting records for roughly 5 years. It has been an amazing, and expensive journey. I have a few questions for fellow collectors that I'd like to get answered, if you have the time.

1) How do you decide what records you will buy? Do you buy anything you like? Or, are there other specific criteria? In the age of Apple Music and Spotify, nearly all music sits at our cellular fingertips. So, how do you decide what you will actually purchase, house, and own?

2) How much time do you spend streaming music (Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, JQBX, whatever) vs. spinning records?

3) Aside for financial reasons, when do you decide to sell a record (if at all)?

4) Thoughts on colored vinyl? Prefer black? Depends? Depends on what?!

5) Any other information on your specific collecting ideas, rituals, nuances, or anything. I am genuinely interested in the processes at play here.

TGIF!
Great questions, and definitely ones I've been asking myself more in recent months. In the last couple years, after joining VMP, I started collecting records again after only buying maybe one or two a year, from my favourite bands, and eventually I realized I was just spending too much on it.

1) The main criterion I have is whether it's something that I think I will actually play more than a couple times after buying. If it's an album I really like and can see myself liking five, ten years from now, that's pretty much a prerequisite. This means I've bought more "old" albums than brand new releases; I'm not too likely to spend coin on a pre-order from anyone other than one of my favourite artists whose album I'm pretty much guaranteed to like. I've bought vinyl copies of albums I already had on CD, or on my iTunes collection ripped from one of my friends--more recently, though, I've started to ask myself whether I want it on vinyl for any specific reason. There's a lot of music I'm fine having digital copies of. If there's a new remaster that's gotten good reviews, or a deluxe edition with bonus tracks, I'm more likely to pick it up. I'm not likely to buy a new version of Rumours. The used copy I bought in 2007 for $5 is fine.

Apart from that, I'd like a well curated collection covering a wide variety of genres, time periods, and (recently) geography. I like having records my friends have never heard of that make my collection more than "here are most of the big albums from the bands we all like." I really like having obscure crate-digger records that aren't available digitally. Some of it, I like to think I'll grow into. In the months I was a VMP member, the forum definitely upped the FOMO for me way too many times. For example, when Eddie Gale's Ghetto Music popped up in the store way after everyone thought it was sold out, I snatched it up. Now, I hadn't really listened to it before and even now, after spinning it probably five-plus times, I don't love it. Will I eventually? Maybe. If not, I'll sell or PIF it. If I do, it'll be one entry in my small jazz collection. That's cool too.

There are a couple of artists--all-time favourites, generally--who I'm more likely to buy something from even if I don't love that particular album. But mostly, I have to ask myself if it's something that I'll actually listen to enough to justify the cost and whether the vinyl experience will add anything over the digital experience (remaster, great packaging, etc.). I'm on a limited budget, have limited space, and only have a limited amount of time I can spin, anyway.

2) I listen to most of my music digitally still. I'm at my desk eight hours a day, on the subway two hours a day, and out walking in the city all the time. When I get home from work, I'll spin a record or two before dinner, and maybe one before bed, and then on weekends, if I'm home, I might spin all day or I might not spin at all. I'd say it's about 80% streaming, 20% vinyl.

3) I don't think I've ever sold a record. As I approach my ideal collection size (and apartment capacity), though, I'm starting to go through my collection and decide what is taking up more space than it deserves. Generally I'll be applying the same criteria as question 1. If I haven't listened to it in a year, and it doesn't hold sentimental value for some other reason, why do I have it?

4) Love coloured vinyl. I think it's super fun. If there are coloured and black versions available of an album that I want, I'll probably get the colour, unless it's significantly more expensive or has quality issues that the standard doesn't. Black is totally fine. But I have a black table, and I just think it looks cool to have a purple or transparent orange record on it.

5) No real rituals. I like listening alone late at night on headphones. I'd like a collection of around 300 (probably larger, eventually) that covers a bunch of genres, moods, time periods, and countries, where I can always find something for the situation, and eventually when I'm 50 or whatever, I can quit streaming and just enjoy the collection I've built up. And then pass on to my kids or my nephews and nieces.

Edit: I'll add to #5. I'm also trying to be more conscious of who's getting the dollars I spend on music. Timber Timbre probably needs that money more than Bob Dylan does. (That, uh, didn't stop me from buying that Dylan box set last week, but refer to #1.) I like buying from local artists when I can, for the same reason I try to drink exclusively local beer. It's good to invest in your community in whatever way you can. It doesn't hurt that I like a lot of Toronto and Canadian music.

Last edited:
Good stuff @scotthilk :)

1 - About 8 months ago, or so, I started going with a "Quality over Quantity" method of buying. Vinyl is too expensive to just buy everything, for me to purchase it on vinyl I need to like at least 80% of the album, everyone has a few bad tracks. If I have some sentimental attachment or memory to an album I'll usually look for it out in the wild. I really started using streaming to determine if I liked the album first, then did what research could be done on pressings for anything pressed before 1990.......after that, if It's an album I like I don't mind reissues and remasters as long as their good. I'll tell you though, more times that not, and average prices OG sounds 10 times better.

2 - Mostly on my commute and to "research" albums new and old.

3 - If I'm not spinning them they're going to move along to someone who will. I use the random button on Cogs a lot, if I find myself passing on the selection more then once, it probably needs to go to a new home. Usually the PIF thread is the first stop. So far space isn't an issue.........we'll see how that plays into the equation over time ;)

4 - I don't have to have a colored variant, I have no problem with standard black pressings. Colored vinyl is about 50/50 for me in terms of being noisy, so no thanks. If i happen to be able to get a colored pressing that sounds good, great, if not, I'm not going to chase it down for 4x's it issue price.

5 - This may not go over well with some, but I feel you should try and put some of your vinyl budget back into your system. That being said, buy what you can afford and enjoy your music, even if its a Crosely. But I've noticed that my enjoyment of some albums has increased greatly as my system has gotten "better", hearing the music closer to how it was intended opens up so much more of what your hearing and what the artist was trying to produce. Again, not saying its a must, it's just a suggestion ;)

There's a lot here in these questions that I think about! Nice one.

1) If I end up listening to the album regularly, or if the first few listens already captivate me enough to want to own it, at least! But then again, pressing quality matters so Discogs can be helpful in guiding me which to buy. No matter what, I still see my record collection as a revolving door, and I've sold away plenty of records that I was first convinced I'd keep forever. It's freeing because, at least for the most part, our tastes evolve, and certain genres/artists take precedent at different parts of our lives. I totally enjoy the process of letting that happening to me.

2) Streaming when I work, so every day - whether if it's discovering new albums or exploring back catalogues.

3) If I look at it and have no desire to spin it at all, and don't see myself spinning it in the near future, it's gone. It's surprisingly been an easier process over the years.

4) I haven't had a truly awful experience with colored vinyl, and I have a fair bit of well-mastered colored vinyl, so it's no problem for me! It's great.

5) I spend way too much time reading into the best-sounding issue of an album, if there is one. Especially since I could be putting all that money into upgrading my system.

Back