Portland / Oregon

PSA: Anna Tivel has been doing a residency at the Laurelthirst all month, playing each Monday evening from 9 - 11 pm ($10 cover at the door). I have been wanting to make it all month, and finally got there this week with my wife. I discovered Anna's music earlier this year and have been looking forward to catching her live (she is based here in Portland).

I knew it was going to be good, but in truth it was a stunning performance – one of the very best I have seen in a long time. Anna has so much talent – the songwriting, the lyricism, paired with the charm and style to make it all come to life. Not to mention, her band is super talented. She has been playing with a different configuration each week, and we were lucky enough to see her play with the trio from her much lauded Tiny Desk concert (linked below). She must have played 20 songs or more, and the room of 50 or so folks was silent and attentive, as utterly captivated as we were. Magic.

In any case, you have one more week to catch her before she retreats to record her next album - most of the songs were previewed in the set, and it will surely be another great album (check out Outsiders, her latest). I very well may go see her again, but I'm also catching The Walkmen both nights at the Aladdin next week - so it will need to be a game time decision. In any case, very highest recommendation.

PSA: Anna Tivel has been doing a residency at the Laurelthirst all month, playing each Monday evening from 9 - 11 pm ($10 cover at the door). I have been wanting to make it all month, and finally got there this week with my wife. I discovered Anna's music earlier this year and have been looking forward to catching her live (she is based here in Portland).

I knew it was going to be good, but in truth it was a stunning performance – one of the very best I have seen in a long time. Anna has so much talent – the songwriting, the lyricism, paired with the charm and style to make it all come to life. Not to mention, her band is super talented. She has been playing with a different configuration each week, and we were lucky enough to see her play with the trio from her much lauded Tiny Desk concert (linked below). She must have played 20 songs or more, and the room of 50 or so folks was silent and attentive, as utterly captivated as we were. Magic.

In any case, you have one more week to catch her before she retreats to record her next album - most of the songs were previewed in the set, and it will surely be another great album (check out Outsiders, her latest). I very well may go see her again, but I'm also catching The Walkmen both nights at the Aladdin next week - so it will need to be a game time decision. In any case, very highest recommendation.

Just sent this to a friend down there. Lots of Adrianne Lenker / Big Thief to the sound with a good dose of Leonard mixed in. The first song even has a brief Sufjan moment. I would definitely go myself if I was in the area. Thanks for posting this

Does anyone have a Humminguru (+ record vacuum) here in the PDX area? I have a request for a recently purchased record to be ultrasonic cleaned:

Before making an impulse purchase, I didn't read the Discogs reviews regarding how crackly most copies were out of the packaging. Given that it is a Japanese minimal/ambient LP, all surface noise/crackle is amplified considerably and in most cases makes an ambient record practically unlistenable. This is the case with mine. However, with this being an OG record and not a modern press/reissue, I have hope that an ultrasonic clean can bring this back to life. Some have mentioned this on the Discogs reviews as well.
I would pay for shipping both ways, in addition to your time and resources putting it through a Humminguru (+vacuum if you are able). Please let me know.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a Humminguru (+ record vacuum) here in the PDX area? I have a request for a recently purchased record to be ultrasonic cleaned:

Before making an impulse purchase, I didn't read the Discogs reviews regarding how crackly most copies were out of the packaging. Given that it is a Japanese minimal/ambient LP, all surface noise/crackle is amplified considerably and in most cases makes an ambient record practically unlistenable. This is the case with mine. However, with this being an OG record and not a modern press/reissue, I have hope that an ultrasonic clean can bring this back to life. Some have mentioned this on the Discogs reviews as well.
I would pay for shipping both ways, in addition to your time and resources putting it through a Humminguru (+vacuum if you are able). Please let me know.
I’ve got one and can take care of it for you. Just shoot me a PM, could probably catch up on RSD if you’re in town

I’ve got one and can take care of it for you. Just shoot me a PM, could probably catch up on RSD if you’re in town
Oh my goodness, thank you. I will PM you when I have a free moment later in the day.

@Rip_City Awesome record, btdubs. Did you get one with the green plastic bag too?
Haha I did pass on one with a green bag as it was ~$35 more. Just record and hard PVC outer + Japanese inner. I did find mine for $30.

I never posted here,

1709 Records in Vancouver is owned by a woman named Miki and her husband David helps run it. David is a veteran, was in a band called Godhunter, founded Battleground Records, and organized SW and NW Terror fest. He has cancer.

You can read more about him here

The link for his gofund me is in that article. Additionally I am helping design a shirt they can sell to raise $. If you are or know of any artists who want to donate a small design towards it feel free to DM me. Trying to get as many as possible. I'll post that link once the shirts are up. Probably in Feb.

Anyone else going to this on NYE?

Anyone else going to this on NYE?

I've been in the past – it's a lot of fun. No plans to go this year, but I suppose that could change.

Anyone in the Portland/Vancouver area looking to acquire a free jukebox? I can get pics if anyone is interested. '70s looking. Some of the mirror parts need a little refurbishing. Turns on, lights up, turntable spins. Belonged to my stepdad and has been sitting for quite a while. DM me if interested.

Back