"PAPER" Outer Sleeves for Vinyl Records

Paper Outer Sleeves or regular plastic outer sleeve

• Paper

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rikhav

I came across this thread when i was searching in general and this made me think, how many of the record collectors would actually be fine using paper OUTER sleeves??

The reasons pointed out by the thread starter in the link are actually very valid and on top of that it will be little service to enviornment by not using plastic of any kind only because of how it decomposes. Otherwise carbon footprint of a paper product or plastic would be relatively same.

I did ask few of my regular clients and decided if even any one of them agrees i would atleast take feedback from around 50 users and then decide if i should make some or not. Out of the four i asked none of them even hesitated to answer that they are happy with regular plastic sleeves and paper outer sleeves will make record searching absolutely cumbersome.

I did suggest i can always print a section where they can mention arist and album name so it's easy to search. Still the answer was NO.

As of now all my clients are from India as thats where i reside and here many cities have absolutely high humidity throughout the year. And during monsoon seasons which does last for good 4 to 5 months it's beyond 90 percent.

What are your views on this wrt. fighting moisture and mold and not using plastic keeping enviornment point of view but keeping in mind it will make your life miserable as far as searching through your record collection.

Would you agree to use the paper OUTER sleeves?

But.... how would you see what anything is?
Impractical but there can be 2 ways
1) a section printed on the outside where you can write album name and artist name.

2) a section of the front portion of the paper outer sleeve will be see through. Basically like how we have in a mailer envelope but it's a very impractical way as ghe name of the album and artist name can be anywhere in the whole jacket

Impractical but there can be 2 ways
1) a section printed on the outside where you can write album name and artist name.

2) a section of the front portion of the paper outer sleeve will be see through. Basically like how we have in a mailer envelope but it's a very impractical way as ghe name of the album and artist name can be anywhere in the whole jacket
I'm all for anything that helps the environment but the only way I could see this working is if the spine was able to be visible. Otherwise it would just be way too much work.

I'm all for anything that helps the environment but the only way I could see this working is if the spine was able to be visible. Otherwise it would just be way too much work.
Very very good point sir which i also did not think of that if the spine area is also visible it makes things some what easy to know about the record inside.
But unfortunately in a paper equivalent to a plastic sleeve the area from where spine will be visible can't have a cut out as it will completely loose all its strength and will most like tear off with limited use.
Still let me make a hand made sample and post some pictures over here.

C518F164-E627-4800-B64F-71B03B955A6A.jpeg014E0DC5-9FF7-4141-B73D-9C569F2BB344.jpeg

Here’s an example. King Gizzard have released their recent albums in paper sleeves. Picture 1 is how they come, and how I currently store them. Picture 2 is my suggestion - store it with the spine showing out the opening of the bag.

I suppose it works if you put the record in the bag so the spine shows out of the opening?
That's a good idea as well but even if we do put the jacket inside in that position, typically an outer sleeve would be need to be bigger by few mm atleast and that will make reading the spine a little bit difficult

View attachment 159921View attachment 159922

Here’s an example. King Gizzard have released their recent albums in paper sleeves. Picture 1 is how they come, and how I currently store them. Picture 2 is my suggestion - store it with the spine showing out the opening of the bag.
Glad you posted a picture since you had a ready example with you .
But if you look at it carefully the outer is slightly smaller then the jacket and this works as this paper outer was specifically made for that particular album only.
If it has to be a universal size it's always made slightly bigger.
If you imagine in your mind if the outer will be bigger by few mm then will the spine will be still easier to read ?
I will also make a sample and check

One more thing comes to my mind is that if anyone is storing records in a crate then a paper outer with idea of readable spine wont work as in a crate one would always keep the open side on the top.

This is a sample i made.
Hope the pictures are good enough, am sorry not so handy with the camera
In the bottom i have kept .75 inches from each side so there is enough surface to hold the record and i have made a cut out of height 10 mm.
I can eevn cover that cutout with a very small piece of polyster , basically to keep it transparent as well have strength to hold the record else as we all know paper will tear up very easily
IMG-20221203-WA0025.jpgIMG-20221203-WA0026.jpg

Shared a photo with a friend and he was still not convinced.
He told me whatever you do , even if you don't see the whole album art while browsing records the connection is lost and as we all know the album art is very important to the whole vinyl scene.
So i guess there would be a few who would be ready to sacrifice this pleasure of viewing the whole artwork and not use plastic sleeve or it may work if you have to store the records and it won't be browsed .
Rest would be happy to use the traditional outer sleeve.

Current feedback is pointing towards that atleast

Back