Outer Sounds Vinyl Subscription

Outer Sounds 012 - October '21 RotM Announcement

Alvin Curran - Fiori Chiari, Fiori Oscuri

a2221249291_16.jpg

• electronics
  • modern composition
From the website:

The selection for October 2021 is Alvin Curran’s Fiori Chiari, Fiori Oscuri reissue on Black Truffle.

Seems to be sold out in a lot of storefronts, including Bandcamp, but appears to be on backorder. Available at Best Buy ($34.99) of all places, lol. A few others too, but this is best price for now.

EDIT: Interview with Oren Ambarchi with Black Truffle Records available below:

Last edited:

Outer Sounds 013 - November '21 Announcement

Christopher Otto - Rag'sma

a1640693659_16.jpg

• modern composition
  • minimalism
From the website:

The selection for November 2021 is Christopher Otto Rag’sma LP on greyfade.

Also available on Bandcamp for $24 (+$7 shipping). Digital available on Nov 19, estimated to ship out on Dec 15.

Interview with Christopher Otto of Jack Quartet will be uploaded in the coming days.

Outer Sounds 014 - December '21 Announcement

Don Cherry - The Summer House Sessions
a0664432411_16.jpg

• spiritual jazz
  • free jazz
  • ethnographic
From the website:

The selection for November 2021 is Don Cherry’s The Summer House Sessions LP on Blank Forms.

In 1968, Don Cherry had already established himself as one of the leading voices of the avant-garde. Having pioneered free jazz as a member of Ornette Coleman’s classic quartet, and with a high profile collaboration with John Coltrane under his belt, the globetrotting jazz trumpeter settled in Sweden with his partner Moki and her daughter Neneh. There, he assembled a group of Swedish musicians and led a series of weekly workshops at the ABF, or Workers’ Educational Association, from February to April of 1968, with lessons on extended forms of improvisation including breathing, drones, Turkish rhythms, overtones, silence, natural voices, and Indian scales. That summer, saxophonist and recording engineer Göran Freese—who later recorded Don’s classic Organic Music Society and Eternal Now LPs—invited Don, members of his two working bands, and a Turkish drummer to his summer house in Kummelnäs, just outside of Stockholm, for a series of rehearsals and jam sessions that put the prior months’ workshops into practice. Long relegated to the status of a mysterious footnote in Don’s sessionography, tapes from this session, as well as one professionally mixed tape intended for release, were recently found in the vaults of the Swedish Jazz Archive, and the lost Summer House Sessions are finally available over fifty years after they were recorded.

On July 20, the musicians gathered at Freese’s summer house included Bernt Rosengren (tenor saxophone, flutes, clarinet), Tommy Koverhult (tenor saxophone, flutes), Leif Wennerström (drums), and Torbjörn Hultcrantz (bass) from Don’s Swedish group; Jacques Thollot (drums) and Kent Carter (bass) from his newly formed international band New York Total Music Company; Bülent Ates (hand drum, drums), who was visiting from Turkey; and Don (pocket trumpet, flutes, percussion) himself. Lacking a common language, the players used music as their common means of communication. In this way, these frenetic and freewheeling sessions anticipate Don’s turn to more explicitly pan-ethnic expression, preceding his epochal Eternal Rhythm dates by four months. The octet, comprising musicians from America, France, Sweden, and Turkey, was a perfect vehicle for Don’s budding pursuit of “collage music,” a concept inspired in part by the shortwave radio on which Don listened to sounds from around the world. Using the collage metaphor, Don eliminated solos and the introduction of tunes, transforming a wealth of melodies, sounds, and rhythms into poetic suites of different moods and changing forms. The Summer House Sessions ensemble joyously layers manifold cultural idioms, traversing the airy peaks and serene valleys of Cherry’s earthly vision.

In the Swedish Jazz Archive quite a few other recordings from the same day were to be found. Some of the highlights are heard as bonus material on the CD edition of this album. The octet is augmented by producer and saxophone player Gunnar Lindqvist, who led the Swedish free jazz orchestra G.L. Unit on the album Orangutang, and drummer Sune Spångberg, who recorded with Albert Ayler in 1962. The bonus CD also includes a track without Cherry featuring Jacques Thollot joined by five Swedes including Lindqvist, Tommy Koverhult, Sune Spångberg, and others.

With liner notes by Magnus Nygren and album art featuring a cover painting by Moki Cherry: Untitled, ca. 1967–68.

Sold out on Bandcamp, but a few available on Amazon. Limited elsewhere.

Outer Sounds 015 - January '22 Announcement

Martin Bartlett - Anecdotal Electronics

1641272310406.png
  • modern composition
  • minimalism
  • drone
  • electronics
From the website:

The selection for January 2022 is Martin Bartlett’s Anecdotal Electronics LP on Arc Light Editions.

These are available in many avenues; Discogs has a few for < $25 shipped.

Interview with filmmaker / musician Luke Fowler about his film & the music of Martin Bartlett available below:

Also, the Outer Sounds IG account follows me now. 🔥

OuterSoundsIG.PNG

I haven't updated this thread in a long while. Here are the selections for the rest of the year:

OuterSoundsChart.png

May '22: Jothan Callins & The Sounds Of Togetherness - Winds of Change [post-bop, spiritual jazz]
June '22: Prima Materia - Tail Of The Tiger [avantgarde, drone, throat singing]
July '22: Pauline Oliveros - Accordion & Voice [drone, minimalism]
Aug '22: Ben Vida & Lea Bertucci - Murmurations [dark ambient, tape music, electroacoustic]
Sep '22: Cheri Knight - American Rituals [experimental, post-minimalism, art pop]
Oct '22: Michael Harrison, John Also Bennett & Christina Vantzou - Michael Harrison, John Also Bennett & Christina Vantzou [modern classical]
Nov '22: John McCowen - Models of Duration [drone, noise]
Dec '22: Yutaka Hirose - TRACE: Sound Design Works 1986-1989 [ambient, field recordings]

A few of these are on my wantlist. I'll try to keep on top of monthly updates next year.

I haven't updated this thread in a long while. Here are the selections for the rest of the year:

View attachment 159106

May '22: Jothan Callins & The Sounds Of Togetherness - Winds of Change [post-bop, spiritual jazz]
June '22: Prima Materia - Tail Of The Tiger [avantgarde, drone, throat singing]
July '22: Pauline Oliveros - Accordion & Voice [drone, minimalism]
Aug '22: Ben Vida & Lea Bertucci - Murmurations [dark ambient, tape music, electroacoustic]
Sep '22: Cheri Knight - American Rituals [experimental, post-minimalism, art pop]
Oct '22: Michael Harrison, John Also Bennett & Christina Vantzou - Michael Harrison, John Also Bennett & Christina Vantzou [modern classical]
Nov '22: John McCowen - Models of Duration [drone, noise]
Dec '22: Yutaka Hirose - TRACE: Sound Design Works 1986-1989 [ambient, field recordings]

A few of these are on my wantlist. I'll try to keep on top of monthly updates next year.

I have the Jothan Callins. It's great. Gonna check out the others

I said that I would be up to date with keeping up on alerts for the selections in this club this year and...well...I didn't keep my word. So, here's what's been selected in the past ten months:

OuterSounds2023.png

Jan '23: John McGuire - Pulse Music [minimalism, electronic]
Feb '23: Don Cherry & Jean Schwarz - Roundtrip [spiritual jazz, avant-garde jazz]
Mar '23: Jon Hassell - The Living City [tribal ambient]
Apr '23: David Chatton Berker & Sam McLoughlin - Environmental Meditation Music [nature recordings, ambient]
May '23: La Monte Young & Marian Zazeela - 31 VII 69 10:26 - 10:49 PM / 23 VIII 64 2:50:45 - 3:11 AM The Volga Delta [drone, minimalism]
Jun '23: Milford Craves, Arthur Doyle, Hugh Glover - Children of the Forest [free jazz]
Jul '23: Arthur Russell - Picture of Bunny Rabbit [avant-folk, electroacoustic]
Aug '23: Jim O' Rourke - Hands That Bind [chamber jazz, electroacoustic, ambient]
Sep '23: Mary Jane Leach - Woodwind Multiples [modern classical, minimalism]
Oct '23: Baikida E.J. Carroll - Orange Fish Tears [free jazz]

Back