Noob's first vinyl hardware - at the moment HomePod user

Charity

Good day and hello here

Right now I'm listening with Apple Music (subscription), iPhone and HomePod.

I want to get into the world of vinyl, but I'm not sure if I'm audiophile (even notice the difference in quality).

I was therefore looking for a rack, turntable and speakers for beginners. Did some research, but am a complete beginner and glad forn advice.

I am a big Rammstein fan.

I have a small living room and can not listen too loud, because of neighbors (poor isolation).

I don't want to spend too much money as I'm not sure if this will become a new hobby of mine or gather dust in the basement.

These are the products I would like to buy, am very open to feedback/suggestions.

The speakers don't have a power supply, not sure if that will work.

Have I forgotten any accessories etc? Is there anything else I need?

Shopping list (all new, nothing existing yet)

- Living room furniture -> TV furniture -> NorStone Esse HiFi

- Denon DP-300F (upper class, fully automatic)

- Teufel Ultima 20 (passive loudspeaker)

Kind regards and have a nice day

Hey!

Welcome!

First thing. Passive speaker require amplification. So you will need, with them, to factor an amplifier into the equation. The other alternative would be powered speakers. Generally an amplifier and passive speaker will sound better but powered speakers may potentially better suit your circumstances.

Second, if you wanted to also play your Apple Music through the new system an airport express, discontinued but readily available on eBay second hand, will allow for this!

Good luck, happy hunting!

Last edited:
Welcome to the board!

I don't have experience with the Denon, but by all accounts it's an excellent beginner table.

Does it come with the stylus? If so, great, start with that. If not, you'll want to ask around for a cartridge that goes well with it. Either way, upgrading your cartridge will likely be one of the first "audiophile" moves you'll make once you decide if this hobby is for you. Maybe a year or so down the road.

You'll need an amp of some kind as @Joe Mac pointed out. Or get powered speakers to get you started. Either way, stick with small bookshelf speakers since you can't play too loud.

Also, since you can't play your music too loudly, I'd also look into a good pair of headphones. I'm partial of wires and no noise cancellation (i.e. no digital transformation), but the technology in that regard has also improved a lot. Anyway, that choice is very personal and depends on how you'll listen (sitting near your gear vs. sitting away further and walking about doing stuff).

Summoning @HiFi Guy - he can give you the best advice on gear to suit your needs....

Good day and hello here

Right now I'm listening with Apple Music (subscription), iPhone and HomePod.

I want to get into the world of vinyl, but I'm not sure if I'm audiophile (even notice the difference in quality).

I was therefore looking for a rack, turntable and speakers for beginners. Did some research, but am a complete beginner and glad forn advice.

I am a big Rammstein fan.

I have a small living room and can not listen too loud, because of neighbors (poor isolation).

I don't want to spend too much money as I'm not sure if this will become a new hobby of mine or gather dust in the basement.

These are the products I would like to buy, am very open to feedback/suggestions.

The speakers don't have a power supply, not sure if that will work.

Have I forgotten any accessories etc? Is there anything else I need?

Shopping list (all new, nothing existing yet)

- Living room furniture -> TV furniture -> NorStone Esse HiFi

- Denon DP-300F (upper class, fully automatic)

- Teufel Ultima 20 (passive loudspeaker)

Kind regards and have a nice day
Welcome, welcome!!

There is something for everyone, but the most important part of the puzzle is budget. Did you have a budget in mind for the entire system?

In terms of furniture, depending on your budget and whether there is an Ikea near you - Ikea has a new line of vinyl-related furtiture and accessories. If this suits your space and budget, this piece of furniture would keep you going for a while. Those top shelves are nice for gear (like am amp) and 8 cubes is tons of space for records.

In terms of furniture, depending on your budget and whether there is an Ikea near you - Ikea has a new line of vinyl-related furtiture and accessories. If this suits your space and budget, this piece of furniture would keep you going for a while. Those top shelves are nice for gear (like am amp) and 8 cubes is tons of space for records.

Or even this one if one wanted something a little more idiosyncratic

Don't know if available in your neck of the woods or if still made, but Onkyo does (or at least used to) make fairly priced mini systems....

Tuner, CD, Bluetooth, speakers, and one line in. I believe model is CS-265. As well, I think Denon makes something similar. Might be worth looking at something like that. A few extra capes - CD, BT - not an intimidating price of entry, and small footprint. And that Denon TT had phono preamp built in so there ya go.

Don't know if available in your neck of the woods or if still made, but Onkyo does (or at least used to) make fairly priced mini systems....

Tuner, CD, Bluetooth, speakers, and one line in. I believe model is CS-265. As well, I think Denon makes something similar. Might be worth looking at something like that. A few extra capes - CD, BT - not an intimidating price of entry, and small footprint. And that Denon TT had phono preamp built in so there ya go.

Denon and Marantz both do, minus the tuner on the last few models. The marantz is a bit pricier but having heard both pretty extensively I much prefer the marantz, it pairs really nice with Dali bookshelf speakers as well.

For reference this is the marantz at the store @Charity linked to.

In black

In silver

And these are the dali

My dad uses this combination. Liked it so much he bought a second for the living room in the holiday home and I’ve got to say considering the form factor and price it sounds very very good. Also has Spotify connect and AirPlay built in so can do your streaming. The turntable linked to could just attach to the aux in as it had a build in phono stage.

Last edited:
This is the denon equivalent. My dad actually has one of these in the kitchen at the holiday home too 😂

It’s also good, but to my ear not as good as the marantz. Ymmv. Again turntable can go into the aux.

Doesn’t have the same AirPlay/Spotify connect/internet ability but does have Bluetooth so can still stream to it but with the limitations of Bluetooth.

This is the newer Denon with the whole internet capability.

Also do a bit of price hunting online or ask for a discount for buying everything because that store appears to be on the higher end of prices.

You will need a pair of speaker stands too for bookshelves that you haven’t factored in either.

You could also do worse than something like an Andover SpinBase with a table of your choice. My wife has this setup in her office and it suits her fine. The SpinBase also takes Bluetooth and line-in inputs.

Or even this one if one wanted something a little more idiosyncratic

i have this one and quite like it! Suits my needs well in a space where I had very little wall space.

Back